Thread: Can not connect to FTP server

Can not connect to FTP server

hi,
    i have 19 computer in my office,i am trying to set up my laptop as FTP server but the problem is all 19 computer can not access ftp server,i checked the connection it is proper.I can't even ping my laptop, even though my laptop can ping my other systems.What has happened and what is the solution?Can anyone help!!!

Re: Can not connect to FTP server

This problem may occur if your computer is connected to the Internet by a proxy server, and the FTP proxy settings in Microsoft Internet Explorer are not correct.

Try to use your external IP instead on your server name. And some ISPs do block the port 21 (mine too), so I am running my server on port 2121. The syntax for the URL is as followed: Code:

Code:
    ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port

example: Code:

Code:
    ftp://123.123.123.123:2121

Your FTP Server or some other equipment is issuing you a "Connection Refused" based on some criteria.

One of those could be a reverse DNS lookup that your Leopard Box has and the Tiger does not. Others could be source IP address or other such criteria. Its highly unlikely.

$telnet <fqdn of your ftp server> 21
    If you don't get a
    220 Some FTP Server Software.

Then the connection is being rejected, sometimes, it will tell you why.Also check if

$nslookup yourftpserver.com
    yelds equivalen results on both systems

one system may be using local DNS, while the other may have a hosts file or external name servers that issue it the wrong ip address of a machine that is not even running FTP.

• Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    • Double-click Internet Options.
    • In the Internet Properties dialog box, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
    • In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box, click Advanced under Proxy server.
    • In the Proxy Settings dialog box, click to clear the Use the same proxy server for all protocols check box under Servers.
    • In the FTP box, type the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) for your FTP gateway server. The following is an example of the syntax to use:
      ftp://ftpgate
    • Press TAB to move the insertion point to the Port box that is to the right of the FTP box. Press DELETE to clear the box, and then click OK three times to accept the changes and close the Internet Properties dialog box.