Thread: What is Avgrsx.exe, why it consumes so much memory?

What is Avgrsx.exe, why it consumes so much memory?

I sometimes get message like this "Avgrsx.exe has encounter a problem and needs to close". I want to know what is Avgrsx.exe and why does it consumes so much memory?

I have Windows XP SP2 and AVG Free 8 installed. Can I disable this this stuff and still use AVG without any problems?

Re: What is Avgrsx.exe, why it consumes so much memory?

avgrsx.exe is a avgrs\r belonging to AVG Internet Security\r from AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.\r
    avgrsx.exe is part of AVG Internet Security.
    avgrsx.exe is required by third-party software or hardware and should not disabled.

avgrsx.exe is a file that was most likely installed at some time after you purchased your computer. The exact disk location is also shown below so you can verify it is not spyware related. Always verify the exact disk location to make sure its in the proper folder. This avgrsx.exe file is from the free antivirus AVG security software. This is part of their antivirus and resident shield software and it helps protect your computer from viruses and outside attacks. This file is considered safe and is not virus or spywrae related.

AVGRSX.exe is the resident shield component of AVG 8.

This is the portion of the program that scans files as they are opened, copied or moved/saved. If it detects a threat, an alert pops up asking what to do with the file (unless you set it to automatically move the file to the virus vault).

Why it uses so much of memory when computer is just started!! It because on startup avg is doing a scan of your system, you can wait until its finished or click on the icon by the clock and stop the scan.

Some doubts on Avgrsx.exe I will like to clear --
    • Is avgrsx.exe spyware?
      - No.

• Is this considered adware or popup related?
      - No.

• Is this considered a virus or trojan?
      - No.

• Would you recommend that I remove avgrsx.exe?
      - No, I would not remove this file.

Okey, so from all the explanations above, it is clear that Avgrsx.exe is an important file and it should not be disabled. But then, why it eats up so much of cpu usage not only at start up but all the time! Any ideas on what this executable actually does? Is it really so much necessary?

You have 2 options to speed things up here:

Disable the resident shield. This is NOT RECOMMENDED as it basically switches off real-time monitoring of files. I strongly suggest you do not disable resident shield!

OR

You can manage exceptions by click the "manage exceptions" button then choosing to add a path or a list of folders. Doing this you can set up certain folders that will not be monitored thus speeding up the opening of the folders considerably if they are full of files but remember, should a virus somehow manage to get into any of the files contained in this folder AVG will not report it so you need to be pretty sure that no viruses will invade the folders you set up as exceptions.

If you have a specific folder where all downloads from the internet, peer-to-peer programs etc go, then obviously this should NOT be set up as an exception!

Hope that clears some things up and helps.

The resident shield program is a heavy CPU user. There are only two courses of action to speed up your PC. Second, disable the scheduled scan and try running the scans at night once a week. If you are handling large files when you're using it though you are still going to have to deal with Resident Shield kicking in.

You could always try another antivirus, of course. Avast! and Antivir are recommended here.