Thread: Cannot Setup LAN

Cannot Setup LAN

I am having a problem setting up a home LAN using a Dell Laptop with PC. Both use XP. I have made the changes in the IP's of both and set up a LAN but it still says that the two PC's are not connected.Although Local Area Connection is now listed where it should be, now my 1394 Connection is renamed as 1394 Connection 2 and Local Area Connection says "Limited or no connectivity." Doing ipconfig /release on the command prompt didn't work either.

What has happened and what is the solution?Can anyone help!!!

Re: Cannot Setup LAN

Ordinary USB cables must not be used to connect two computers directly to each other. Attempting to do so can electrically damage the computers! However, special USB cables designed for direct connection exist that can be used safely. You may prefer this option over others if your computers lack functional Ethernet network adapters.

To make dedicated connections with Ethernet, USB, serial or parallel cables requires
    • each computer have a functioning network interface with an external jack for the cable
    • the network settings on each computer appropriately configured
    • One phone line or power cord cannot be used to directly connect two computers to each other for networking.

Try this to slove the problem :

1. Go to start and click on 'Run'

2. Type this in the box and click OK:- cmd

3. When the small, black command propmt window opens type this:- ipconfig

4. Press the enter key

If you get an error message type this:- ipconfig /renew and press the enter key

Go to a command prompt window (start > run, then type CMD and hit 'OK') and type the following command:netsh winsock reset catalog <<and then hit enter>>,The winsock catalog has been reset and all sockets flushed, etc. - it will ask you to restart your PC. Restart the PC and you should be pulling a valid IP address again.

Guru999 Guest

I have found a great description about setting up Lan and internet connection. It was discussed
    very easily. And it was also working. i did the same thing,If you are facing the similar
    problem i think you can solve this.
    The link is:

Last edited by Yogesh; 11-04-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: External links not allowed.