Thread: Can't Ping Static IP machine

Can't Ping Static IP machine

hi,
    I have 10 computer set up with static ip provided by ISP(192.168.1.1). I’ve tried tuning off the gateway’s firewalls. I can ping it from the LAN side/ server – goes directly to the gateway with the correct DNS. but the destination is unreachable.Does anyone know what causes this issue and how to fix it?Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Re: Can't Ping Static IP machine

You more than likely are not going to get a ping request back from a Windows XP machine with it's firewall on.

When you manually set a static ip address you also have to set the gateway address and the nameservers.Look at the difference in the out put of route between DHCP and static.Set your nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf.

First of all...just check your subnet mask....it must be 255.255.255 or 255.255
    & the other thing is turn off your firewall....it restricts pinging.....& at the last it depends upon which type of lan connection u r accessing....i mean cable net? if administrator is somebody else..then he has put some restrictions on accessing PC's.

You need to port forward to the internal IP of the system running the webserver.

Hi All. I have this computer at work connected to the local area network and i am having trouble perfoming operations such as running network based programs connectting to SQL databases and SBS Client set up etc. From this computer i can access the internet and shared drives remote desktop etc. I can ping other computers from this pc how ever i cannot ping this PC from the other computers. I am guessing that some information packets whatever are being blocked for some reason or other. I Hope that all makes sence Articulating weird computer problems can be tricky at times. Any help here would be cool.

Cheers Folks

Are you on Windows Vista or Windows 7? I think you need to change the firewall settings as well as you must enable network discovery from network settings. Also enable Topology discovery. Select your network as private network and not public network. I hope this helps you...