Thread: How to configure a seperate DNS server

How to configure a seperate DNS server

I have installed windows 2003 server .For DNS i does't want to configure it in the same machine in which AD is configureed.

Well i am interested to configure DNS in a seperate machine so in that case how can i integrate my DNS with AD & will see sunch thing

_msdcs.test.local
    test.local

if i configure DNS durning AD installation i can see _msdcs.test.local in my DNS but in a seperate machine for configuring DNS i can'y see it.
    please help me .
    thanks in advance.
    mypass

Re: How to configure a seperate DNS server

DNS Server Requirements for Active Directory Support

Microsoft recommends that you use Microsoft DNS Server as supplied with Windows Server as your DNS server. However, Microsoft DNS is not required.

The DNS server that you use:

* Must support the SRV RR (RFC 2052).
    * Supports the dynamic update protocol (RFC 2136).

Version 8.1.2 and later of BIND (a popular DNS server implementation) supports both the SRV RR and dynamic update. (Version 8.1.1 does support dynamic updates but it has flaws that were fixed in 8.1.2.) If you are using a version of BIND that does not support dynamic update, you need to manually add records to the DNS server.

Note: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server DNS does not support the SRV record. Use DNS Server that is provided with Windows 2000 Server.

Starting with a Windows Based Stand-Alone Server

This server becomes a DNS server for your network. You can also promote it to the domain controller role at a later time.

In the first step, you assign this server a static Internet Protocol (IP) configuration. DNS servers should not use dynamically assigned IP addresses, because a dynamic change of address could cause clients to lose contact with the DNS server.
    Configure TCP/IP

1. Click Start, point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
    3. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
    4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
    5. Assign this server a static IP address, subnet mask, and gateway address. Enter the server's IP address in the Preferred DNS server box.
    6. Click Advanced.
    7. Click the DNS Tab.
    8. Select "Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes"
    9. Check "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix"
    10. Check "Register this connection's addresses in DNS". If this Windows based DNS server is on an intranet, it should only point to its own IP address for DNS; do not enter IP addresses for other DNS servers here. If this server needs to resolve names on the Internet, it should have a forwarder configured.
    11. Click OK to close the Advanced TCP/IP Settings properties.
    12. Click OK to accept the changes to your TCP/IP configuration.
    13. Click OK to close the Local Area Connections properties.

How do I install and configure Windows DNS server?

The Domain Name System (DNS) is the Active Directory locator in Windows 2000. Active Directory clients and client tools use DNS to locate domain controllers for administration and logon. You must have a DNS server installed and configured for Active Directory and the associated client software to function correctly. This article guides you through the required DNS configuration.
    Install Microsoft DNS Server

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    3. Click Add and Remove Windows Components.
    4. The Windows Components Wizard starts. Click Next.
    5. Click Networking Services, and then click Details.
    6. Click to select the Domain Name System (DNS) check box, and then click OK.
    7. Click OK to start server Setup. The DNS server and tool files are copied to your computer.
    8. Continue to the next step to configure the DNS server.

Configure the DNS Server Using DNS Manager

These steps guide you through configuring DNS by using the DNS Manager snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DNS Manager. You see two zones under your computer name: Forward Lookup Zone and Reverse Lookup Zone.
    2. The DNS Server Configuration Wizard starts. Click Next.
    3. If the Wizard does not auto-start, right-click your server name object in the DNS Manager console and choose Configure your Server.
    4. Choose to add a forward lookup zone. Click Next. The new forward lookup zone must be a primary zone so that it can accept dynamic updates. Click Primary, and then click Next.
    5. The zone name must be exactly the same as your Active Directory Domain name, or, if on a stand-alone or workgroup environment - the same as the suffix for all of the network computers that are to register with this DNS server. Type the name of the zone, and then click Next.
    6. Accept the default name for the new zone file. Click Next.
    7. Choose to add a reverse lookup zone now. Click Next.
    8. Click Primary, and then click Next.
    9. Type the name of the zone, and then click Next. The zone name should match the Network ID of your local subnet. For example, if your subnet range is from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254, type 192.168.0 in the name value.
    10. Accept the default name for the new zone file. Click Next.
    11. Click Finish to complete the Server Configuration Wizard.

After the Server Configuration Wizard is finished, DNS Manager starts. Proceed to the next step to enable dynamic update on the zone you just added.
    Enable Dynamic Update on the Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones (Optional - Recommended)

1. In DNS Manager, expand the DNS Server object.
    2. Expand the Forward Lookup Zones folder.
    3. Right-click the zone you created, and then click Properties.
    4. On the General tab, click to select the Allow Dynamic Update check box, and then click OK to accept the change.

1. Do the same for the Reverse Lookup Zone.
    2. Enable DNS Forwarding for Internet connections
    3. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DNS to start the DNS Management Console.
    4. Right click the DNS Server object for your server in the left pane of the console, and click Properties.
    5. Click the Forwarders tab.
    6. Check the Enable forwarders check-box.
    7. In the IP address box enter the IP address of the DNS servers you want to forward queries to - typically the DNS server of your ISP. You can also move them up or down. The one that is highest in the list gets the first try, and if it does not respond within a given time limit - the query will be forwarded to the next server in the list.
    8. Click OK.

well thanks many many times "Steve123" & Big Fish for a detail reply. My domain name is "test.local" for making DNS server on windows 2003 server i should configure it as a member server also ? well when i careate a seperate DNS server (Windows server 2003) in my network,after doing all steps which u have mentioned i can see only

test.local

Here in my cause only "test.local" is available in forword lookup zone but if i configure it durning active directory installation i can see

+Forword lookup zone
    + _msdcs.test.local
    _sites
    _tcp
    _udp

+ test.local

My point is only i can't see + _msdcs.test.local if DNS is in a seperate server.Which step i am missing?
    Last edited by mypass604; 07-04-2009 at 02:51 PM.