Thread: Router does not work with mac

Router does not work with mac

Hello friends,
    My router works perfectly on my desktop PCs. I brought Macbook and the connection became very flaky. I'd have to reset the router every thirty minutes or so. It can't be a coincidence or isolated thing because I have had two other people come over with Macs and had the same problem. Can anybody help?

All suggestions are welcome.

Re: Router does not work with mac

Just to make sure that you did enter in the MAC address of the MacBook into the router. Go to the Apple menu and select "About this Mac". From the resulting window, you should be able to click on the button that says "More info" and the System Profiler will open up. In the System Profiler, you should find the Airport Card under Network. Select it. It should list the firmware version of the AirPort card.

I have found that D-Link routers work well in 'mixed' environments. I use Mac's, Linux and Windows PC's and all work well with my D-Link routers. Look at the DI-524 model. Apple and PC's are equally compatible with all routers. If the PCs connect fine and don't have a problem then your problem is with the MAC not with the router.

MAC addresses are unique for all interfaces. Your ethernet MAC address is different than your Airport MAC address. You need to register your Airport MAC address. Open Network Utility from the Utilities folder. Network Interface (en0) is your ethernet port. The Hardware Address is your MAC address. Select Network Interface (en1) from the drop down menu. Register the MAC address (hardware address) for you Airport card with the IT department. Hope this works!