Thread: What is SSID?

idea What is SSID?

Hey Guys,

I would like to know that what is SSID. I'm running Windows Vista on my system. One of my friend told me that it is something related to networking. I don't have much knowledge about networking. For information purpose can some body tell me what exactly is SSID? I hope so some one would provide me the correct information about SSID. Any kind of information on SSID would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: What is SSID?

An SSID is the name of a wireless local area network (WLAN). All wireless devices on a WLAN must employ the same SSID in order to communicate with each other.

The SSID on wireless clients can be set either manually, by entering the SSID into the client network settings, or automatically, by leaving the SSID unspecified or blank. A network administrator often uses a public SSID, that is set on the access point and broadcast to all wireless devices in range. Some newer wireless access points disable the automatic SSID broadcast feature in an attempt to improve network security.

SSIDs are case sensitive text strings. The SSID is a sequence of alphanumeric characters (letters or numbers). SSIDs have a maximum length of 32 characters.

SSID stands for "Short for service set identifier". It is a 32-character unique code which acts as a password when a mobile device tries to connect to the BSS. These SSIDs differs from network to network, so all access points and all devices attempting to connect to a specific WLAN must use this SSID. No device will be allowed to join any wireless network unless and until it provides the proper unique SSID. An SSID is also referred to as a network name because essentially it is a name that identifies a wireless network.

An SSID is a 32-character alphanumeric key uniquely identifying a wireless LAN. Its purpose is stop other wireless equipment accessing your LAN, whether accidentally or intentionally. To communicate, wireless devices must be configured with the same SSID. Most NETGEAR products have a "site survey" tool that automatically looks for other wireless devices, and displays their SSID.

If you unselect Allow broadcast of SSID in a router or access point, the SSID of that device will not be visible in another device's site survey, and must be entered manually.

The SSID is not a strong security measure, and should be used in conjunction with other security such as WEP or WPA.

The Extended Service Set Identification (ESSID) is one of two types of Service Set Identification (SSID). An Ad-hoc wireless network with no access points uses the Basic Service Set Identification (BSSID). In an infrastructure wireless network that includes an access point, the Extended Service Set Identification (ESSID) is used, although it may still be referred in a loose sense as SSID. Some vendors refer to the SSID as the "network name"

SSID (service set identifier) is a function performed by an Access Point to transmits its name so that wireless stations searching for a network connection can 'discover' it. It's what allows your wireless adapter's client manager program or Windows XP's built-in wireless software to give you a list of the Access Points in range.

Having SSID broadcast disabled essentially makes your Access Point invisible unless a wireless client already knows the SSID, or is using tools that monitor or 'sniff' traffic from an AP's associated clients.