Thread: McAfee uninstalling problem

McAfee uninstalling problem

I cannot uninstall my anti-virus McAfee which is expired. When I run the removal, there is a window that appears saying that access to install Windows Service has not taken place and it just happened that if the machine is in Safe Mode. Yet this is not the case. So I deleted the files in McAfee Program File with VSCleanup tool but the problem continues. I also deleted the key in the registry. I do not know what to do. my operating system is Win XP SP3
    "Freely you have received, freely give." -- Jesus Christ

Re: McAfee uninstalling problem

In addition to whatever you may have deleted from the Add/Remove programs, you'd also need to delete any startup program related to it which you'd find in the Startup tab in msconfig(Start-Run-type in msconfig in the box and click OK). Then you'd need to get into Windows Explorer and locate any files or folders related to McAfee. Possibly they're in the Program Files. These all need to be deleted.

This should be adequate else you'd need to go into the Registry but I wouldn't advise until you first do the above.

I've had the Norton anti-virus program. Deleted when I had with Win98 because too often was getting BSOD's(blue screen of death messages)at shutdown time.
    Now I have AVG on both my PC's.

Step1
    Access McAfee's files in your program files folder in Explorer. Look for C:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\app.

Step2
    Delete all files contained in the folder. If you can’t find the McAfee application, enter "mcafee" in the Search feature on your Explorer toolbar.

Step3
    Go to the "Add and Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. Highlight "McAfee Security Center" and click on "Remove."

Step4
    Close down all running programs and restart your computer. The computer will reboot and run a systems check.

Step5
    If you want to reinstall the McAfee Security Center, insert the CD and follow the instructions. If after that you're still encountering problems, run "services.msc" on the Run command. Set the properties on all McAfee services to "Disabled" and set the recovery to "None."

Step6
    Reboot the computer and remove the program with "Add and Remove Programs" as described in Steps 3 and 4.

Source: ehow.com

Is this when you go to Control Panel/Add or Remove? Try using the MCPR tool linked in my signature.

This is dependant on your operating system and service pack however and which McAfee products are you trying to remove

If you are uninstalling products that are really old, or Enterprise versions or you have a system other than Windows 2000, XP or Vista then this wont apply.