Thread: Can't access NAS in Windows 7

Can't access NAS in Windows 7

Hello Everybody,

Recently i have installed Windows 7 on my system. But i cannot access NAS that is attached to my network. Whenever i try to access my NAS, it shows me the following error 1208. Can any body tell me that why i can not access NAS on my system? Can any body help me out to resolve this issue? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Can't access NAS in Windows 7

The NAS is a Maplin branded enclosure containing a self-installed 200gb IDE drive, there appears to be no later firmware availalbe than the one I have. An interesting point to note is that I use the Ultra-Edit / Ultra-Studio suite of programs for web page development, and this has it's own 'Tree view' in a pane on the left hand side of the screen, if I use this pane to select
    files I can open them in Ultra-Edit as this by passes the Windows File Selector dialog. But if I use the Windows File Selector in Ultra-Edit then I get the same crash.

Seems like a setting change would be required in Windows 7.

Can you ping the NAS by using your IP address?

No, it is not pingable by IP when connected via VPN from remote location. But when in the office, yes i can ping it by using my IP.

Try to uninstall your antivirus program from your system. It solved the problem for me as it is the well known issue with the most NAS in Windows 7.

Unfortunately, many NAS devices as well as older versions of linux do not understand the newer encryption methods. This keeps you from being able to access these devices.

The solution is to force Windows 7 is to use the older encryption methods. To do that, follow these steps:

CAUTION: Improperly modifying the registry can harm your system.

1. Click start
    2. Type: regedit
    3. Press enter
    4. In the left, expand these folders: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
    5. In the left, click on the folder named: Lsa
    6. In the right, double-click "LmCompatibilityLevel"
    7. Type the number 1 and press enter
    8. Restart your computer

I noticed on the 1st of the admin pages that one of the settings is "Group Name" and it's set to "WORKGROUP". This setting was pre-confogured and it doesn't seem to be changeable.

My LAN's workgroup name was set to something like "MSHOME". I set up the LAN again, this time using the name "WORKGROUP" for the workgroup, rebooted and the NAS drive appeared under "My Network Places". I can now access the drive successfully.