Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Unable to display my computer with XP Pro as a member of workgroup

Networking & Security

Old 30-03-2009

Unable to display my computer with XP Pro as a member of workgroup

My PC is running XP Pro sp3 that does not appear in the workgroup that is created, although I made all the network settings, the network card works, I also tried to assign a fixed ip, but nothing happens, I disabled the firewall, what to do? Please help. Thank you

Old 30-03-2009

Re: Unable to display my computer with XP Pro as a member of workgroup

See suggestions given in similar type of threads: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ork/778002.htm
Vista & XP workgroup problem -> NET VIEW -> Service not started
Access to Workgroup computers in Windows Xp
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...rt/1098878.htm
Old 30-03-2009

It could be because a Browse Master has not been "elected" to keep track of what computers there are and what is being shared. You can find which computer is the Browse Master for a workgroup by running NBTSTAT /n. If it is, it will show in the last line.

You might try booting and waiting a few minutes for the browse list to populate.
Old 30-03-2009

Are they both in the same workgroup?
XP Pro uses Workgroup by default
XP Home uses MSHOME by default
Try pinging one computer computer to the other and see if they can both communicate with each other, and troubleshoot from that forward.

To ping go to start>run (alternatively hitting the window logo button "between the left ctrl button and the left alt button") + "R" button should open the run window... and type cmd, then hit enter key...the command prompt should open, type "ipconfig /a" (disregard the quotation) You should see the ip address of the computer you're using, go to the other computer and by typing ping + <the ip address of the other computer>....i.e. "ping 192.168.1.128" you should get a response.

The Greatest Sig Ever

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: ,