Thread: Problem with Windows Defender in Vista

Problem with Windows Defender in Vista

Hey Guys,

I'm running Windows Vista as my operating system. The problem is that my Windows Defender automatically turns off. When i try to do a full scan using Windows Defender it stops in between and shows me an error message on my desktop. Can any one tell me that why i'm not able to scan my pc completely? Why this error keeps on poping up on my desktop? Does any body have face such kind of problem earlier? Kindly help me out to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Problem with Windows Defender in Vista

Windows Defender is an application you need to run manually so far as scanning goes; eg:- Press Microsoft flag key and R key together
    Type: Windows Defender hit ENTER key. Click down arrow next to Scan--> select option you want

The only automated feature on Windows Defender is its ability if you choose to update its definition list; however, like me you have Norton which when set up will turn off Windows Firewall (if your version of Norton has its own firewall), and turn off windows services like Defender.

You can goto the security center via Control Panel to turn on Defender again because it will not conflict with Norton.

Updates for Windows Defender come via the Windows Update program normally, so you can update it once a month or more if Microsoft decide to offer a patch earlier than usual, using Windows Update via Run command.

Windows Defender does not actively or automatically search out virus or worms without you asking it to via the manual start process; hence the need for other antivirus software like Norton which are continually checking files while PC is on.

Hope so it may help you out.

Re: Problem with Windows Defender in Vista

It seems possible that your Windows installation has been deliberately damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all protected by a rootkit.) so as to prevent you updating your system or removing the trojan.

If the Windows Malicious Software Tool is not installed nor scanned the system recently, then suggest you first utilize it and see if it detects and removes Vundo.