Thread: Problem with TightVNC on Vista

angry Problem with TightVNC on Vista

Hey Everyone,

I' running Windows Vista on my system. Recently i have installed TightVNC program on my system. The installation process was done successfully on my system, but when i try to connect my computer from a remote i get an error message stating that "This server does not have a valid password enabled. Until password is set, incoming connections cannot be accepted". But when i try to reset the password on the server and try to connect it, i get the same error message on my pc. Can any body help me out to resolve this problem? Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Problem with TightVNC on Vista

You should enable "port forwarding" in your router's configuration. Port forwarding allows passing external connections to computers in the internal network. Almost all routers support this type of redirection.

For example, to access VNC or TightVNC server running on default ports, a router can be configured such way that TCP connections to ports 5900 and 5800 would be passed to the same ports of a particular machine with a specified private IP address (typically 192.168.x.x).

When port forwarding is set up, you can connect to the router's IP address such way as if it was your target machine's IP address, but you should specify those port numbers on which port forwarding was activated.

So in order to be able to remote control and access or take control of a Windows Vista PC from another computer, a desktop sharing system or remote control server has to be installed and running on Windows Vista machine. One of the popular desktop sharing system is VNC (Virtual Network Computing) in the flavors or variants of RealVNC, UltraVNC, TightVNC and etc. However, when you try to install and run the VNC Server as a service mode in Windows Vista, there will be problem trying to connect and remote control to the Windows Vista computer from another computer by using VNC client.

So in order to make VNC server on Windows Vista works properly, the workaround resolution (at least until the VNC developers to come out with proper fix or update to address the new security constraint in Windows Vista) is to run VNC server in user mode.