Thread: Connectivity Problem with DSL Router

Connectivity Problem with DSL Router

I bought a new wireless router and the problem is when the the phone is ringing I get disconnected from the internet service. I am able to pick up and talk and make outgoing calls no problem. but when the phone starts ringing the internet does not work.

Please help me in this problem

Re: Connectivity Problem with DSL Router

have you tried unplugging the 2nd phone? back when i had dial up the phones would always ring when i connected the net despite only having 2 sockets/phones..apparently it had something to do with the lengths of cable used

On 56k whenever someone picked up the phone or someone tried to ring us my computer used to shut itself down and then restart So odd.
    I would have thought it was something to do with microfilters... Have you called BT or your broadband provider about it? Or maybe you have too many phones on your microfilter... Either that or I read your last message completely wrong. Sorry I'm sort of half asleep right now.

A line fault would certainly cause this situation. I suggest you unplug everything except the broadband connection, then ring your phone from another, a mobile perhaps. If the connection drops, it is a line fault.
    You must get your ISP to raise a fault with BT, giving the symptoms you describe.

Then you will have to keep a close eye on the fault click here as BT will close the fault if nothing is found when it goes to the Diagnostics Centre. If this happens, raise another fault directly with BT.

have you tried unplugging the 2nd phone? back when i had dial up the phones would always ring when i connected the net despite only having 2 sockets/phones..apparently it had something to do with the lengths of cable used.

Try dialing 151 and getting your line checked, it is automated and they ring you back with the results. May be a fault inthe BT line somewhere.

Check for line noise on a non-cordless handset. Make sure the filters are connected the right way around. The phone plugs into "phone", the "line" into wall socket.

Make sure every phone device is filtered (foxtel iq for example)

If you have a back to base alarm system, you'll need a central splitter.

.. and finally, if you have more than 3 phone devices (not including modem, but includes eftpos terminals, foxtel, alarm systems, panic buttons, phones, faxes, dialup modems and others) then you'll also need a central splitter.

3 handsets on 1 base station counts as one device.

Some people after me might comment on Panasonic phones causing a problem, but they don't anymore (on newer panasonic phones) and as you said, the problem existed before you bought the phone.

I don't know what filters you have now, but Jackson / C10 filters are the best, from Bunnings or Telstra Shops.