Thread: Dialup router to connect to a wireless laptop

Dialup router to connect to a wireless laptop

I have a dialup on desktop and want to connect wireless to my laptop, my laptop has a wireless 108 mb netgear card. My desktop doesn't have any pci card for wireless.

My first question is what is the lastest dialup router which has the lastest security options & does my desktop need any other hardware to connect wireless to my laptop? I need a wireless dialup router & Can i use the lastest broadband wireless router with dialup backup???

Re: dialup router to connect to a wireless laptop

Wont need a router per say as long as you have a wireless card in both machines.It would be what is known as an Ad hoc Wireless Network and it is pretty easy to set up.Your desktop PC would be set up as the host.I could go on about this but it would be much easier for me to post the link below that will walk you through it.There are many firewalls out there if you choose to use one.I would before using the one that comes with XP. Zone Alarm is pretty darn good and its free.

Re: Dialup router to connect to a wireless laptop

Will this work for a dialup connection? in the articles it says We'll start with a single computer that already has a wired Ethernet broadband connection to the Internet..

If i can use it with a dialup can i get the lastest fastest wireless card..

Yes it works with dial-up.I had to set up my mom-in-laws network this way as she lives out in the boonies and broadband just aint quite there yet.As far as the cards go as long as they are compatible you should have no problem.Keep one thing in mind tho. Networking a dial-up connection while possible can tend to be slow.Its just the nature of things.You are splitting a band-width that is already small in comparison to broadband , but as the saying goes you gotta work with what you got some times

If you are able to do wireless networking by ad hoc why do most people say buy a router? what are some of the major pros and cons between ad hoc and using a router besides the its obvious cheaper, for instance does ad hoc have the same range as a router , will i be able to take laptop to different rooms

if you are able to do wireless networking by ad hoc why do most people say buy a router? what are some of the major pros and cons between ad hoc and using a router besides the its obvious cheaper, for instance does ad hoc have the same range as a router , will i be able to take laptop to different rooms
    Well first of all a lot of people are not aware they even can do ad-hoc. I’ve seen where people assume you just need a wireless router to do wireless networking.

I would say these are the benefits of having a wireless router:
    - No need for a second NIC in PC
    - Load to share network is on router and not PC possibly in use.
    - Easy to setup and maintain
    - Often Comes with NAT, Firewall, MAC Filtering where if running off PC you got to setup.

LAN to WiFi mode allows LAN based solutions to enjoy immediate WiFi connectivity without development of any drivers or protocols. Any microcontroller with an Ethernet MAC can be used to connect to WiFi.

Typical applications:

*WiFi enabling existing LAN based solutions

*Wired LAN Cable replacement

The microcontroller's existing TCP/IP stack is used, and the relevant Connect One product is used as a closed solution (including drivers, etc) to connect to the 802.11 network.

LAN to WiFi mode supports both standard Ethernet RJ45 connector (requires PHY) and direct MAC connectivity to the microcontroller MAC.

Note
    that the example above demonstrates the use of a WiFi module; large volume customers can easily build PCB level solutions with identical functionality to the module by using iChip CO2128/2144.

This mode is supported on the following Connect One products:

CO2128
    CO2144
    Nano WiReach
    This mode may be used over the following iChip interfaces:

RMII