Thread: RPC server not availble

RPC server not availble

Hey Everyone,

I'm having a RRAS single-Nic Windows 2003 SP2 server and they all seems to be working fine. Recently i was trying to login remotely to my server not as VPN client, i got an error message that 'RPC Server is not Available". It also showed me that my RRAS services had either stopped working. Can any body help me out to resolve this issue? Does any body have any idea about it? Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: RPC server not availble

The error is usually caused because the server can't be located. Make sure you can ping the server machine using the string you typed into the ComputerName property of the TRemoteServer.

• You might also want to try using an IP address instead in case there is some problem with your DNS configuration or the hosts file. Try setting the "Default Authentication Level" to (Run DCOMCNFG on the server to do this.)
    • It may be that you have a static value in your registry's field PagedPoolSize.

Set PagedPoolSize to 0 at:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

There might be some viruses and spyware that may try to exploit an RPC server software bug. If the RPC server is not running, one can go to Control Panel-->Performance and Maintenance-->Administrative Tools-->Services then double click on the Remote Procedure Call entry and either start the server, or set it to start automatically on system startup.

The following checklist may help you troubleshoot the problem.

1. If the machine that you are trying to audit is running Windows 95/98, you will need to make sure that DCOM is installed and running
    2. If the machine that you are trying to audit is running Windows 95/98 or ME then you will have to enable remote connections for DCOM on the remote machine
    3. If the machine is running Windows 95/98 or NT 4.0 then you will have to make sure WMI has been installed on the remote machine
    4. Try running EntAudit.exe from the command line on the remote machine. If EntAudit.exe can audit the machine then that indicates that DCOM and WMI are correctly installed on the machine and that the problem is security related (i.e. you can audit the machine locally but don't have privileges to audit this remotely). In this case, you will have to change the security settings for WMI on the machine in question to allow remote WMI connections.
    5. If you are sure that none of the above is causing the problem then make sure that the remote machine is powered on and connected to the network

This problem occurs because of a mismatch in the computer name and the name that the RPC service expects. This mismatch may occur if the computer name is changed by using one of the following methods:

• The Microsoft System Preparation (Sysprep) tool was used to create the Windows XP image that you used to start the computer.
    • You change the computer name during the Windows XP Out of Box Experience.
    • One or more of the following conditions are true:

• You disconnect the network cable during the Windows XP Out of Box Experience.
    • You do not restart the computer after the Windows XP Out of Box Experience has completed.
    • You open Disk Management.