Thread: Default Gateway is not available?

Default Gateway is not available?

hi,
    I have installed the Windows XP,the problem is and now have problems with my Cisco 2948G-L3 as a backbone router. It has a default gateway that points to the firewall and thus to the Internet.If i specify more than one gateway in the TCP/IP Properties dialog box, gateway addresses other than the default gateway address of my Cisco 2948G-L3 router it may not be used if the default gateway is not available.Does anyone know what causes this issue and how to fix it? Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Re: Default Gateway is not available?

Routers that are connected to more than one network can be configured as gateways to forward and redirect packets between networks. When IP routing is disabled on the local router, the router forwards traffic to the default gateway router.

Use the ip default-gateway command to specify the IP address of a router used as a default gateway.

Use the no ip default-gateway command to delete the default route.

Default-gateway routes can be overridden by dynamically-learned routes by careful configuration of the distance argument. Each routing protocol has a default distance.

To override a default-gateway route, configure the distance for the default-gateway route as more than the default distance for the routing protocol.

hi,
    This problem occurs because the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) stack included with Windows 95 only uses the default gateway.

hi,
    if you're getting your ip address assgigned via dhcp from your router you should also get the default gateway.

if you're using a manually assigned ip address you need to define the default gateway (usually the router's ip address).