Thread: File Audit services.exe permissions problem

File Audit services.exe permissions problem

Hello Friends,

I'm having Windows Server 2003 on my system. The problem is that my folder permissions randomly keeps on changing. When i tried to find out the problem by turning on my file audit and i was able to determine that it is the system account and the services.exe process which are causing the problem. Can any body tell me in a better way about this issue? Does any body have any idea about this issue? Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: File Audit services.exe permissions problem

Copying permissions to an administrative share located on an x86 computer will cause Services.exe to crash.

Try to follow the below steps:-

1. Use the command-line utility Scopy.exe with the /s switch (other switches optional) to copy all sub-directories and files from the root directory to the target directory on the new partition. Verify that all directories were copied correctly. Depending on the number of directories and files, the results are printed in the command prompt window.
    2. The shares are not created or copied using SCopy. The shares must be recreated on the new directories before the share level permissions can be copied from the old share.
    3. You can create shares remotely using File Manager (Run: winfile).
    • 1. Open File Manager, click Disk on the title bar, and then Connect Network Drive.
    • 2. After you map a drive to the target computer, select the file, click Disk on the title bar, and then click Share As.
    • 3. Create the desired share and sharename.

4. Step three above is repeated for each share that needs to be restored.
    5. Using the command-line utility Permcopy.exe, copy the share permissions of each original share to each new target share.

You can add Change Permissions in one of the following two ways:

• From the command prompt, execute the following command to set the permissions on the Configuration Change Console Agent Installation directory:cacls c:\oracle\ConfigurationChangeConsoleAgent /T /E /G SYSTEM:C
    • From Windows Explorer, do the following:

1) Right-click on the Agent Installation directory.
    2) From the Security tab, confirm that SYSTEM is included in the list. If it is not included, you must add it.

First and most important is changing permissions on the Windows NT system directory. By, default anyone can change any file that is not currently in use by the system. Reset the entire system path on all Windows NT machines so that "Users" have "Read" permission if interactive logon is permitted, otherwise remove "Users" from the ACL. If non-admin local profiles have been created on the machine do not use "Change permissions on existing subdirectories". Manually reset each directory.. Users should be granted "change" access to the print spool directory. Remove "Users" from the access list on the repair directory. Some applications are coded to write temporary files to the windows directory. In this case only, grant "Users" "Add+Read" access to the directory and "CREATOR/OWNER" "Change".

The boot partition should be set such that only admin and SYSTEM have access to the root directory. If non-admin users connect locally to the system, grant "Users" "Read" permission to CONFIG.NT, AUTOEXEC.NT, and the root folder itself.

The temp directory should be set such that "Users" have "Add+Read" and "CREATOR/OWNER" has "Full Control". This prevents users from seeing each other's temporary files on the system.

This works perfectly:
    Right click "My Computer" & press "manage" to start Windows XP "Computer Management", then click "Services & Applications", then click "Services".

Yet these all pop up an "Access is denied" error.
    • Start, Run, services.msc
    • Start, Run, c:\windows\system32\services.msc
    • Doubleclicking on windows\system32\services.msc
    • Start, Run, services.exe
    • Start, Run, c:\windows\system32\services.exe
    • Doubleclicking on windows\system32\services.exe

Checking "attributes" on Microsoft "Services and Controller Application" "services.exe" & Microsoft "Common Console Document" "services.msc" shows "Read-only" is NOT checked & "Hidden" is NOT checked.