Thread: Wireless network key is no longer valid

Wireless network key is no longer valid

We have netgear wireless router. Wireless network was setup with network key, and everything was fine until week ago.

Then it happened that I was not able connect to the wireless network. Network key was not Ok. We reset the network key and than I was able to connect. Next day same issue occurred. Now it happens every day, and only solution we have, is to reset network key every time. This always resolves the problem, but we need to do this almost every day, and since administrator is not always available it became a serious problem. Anybody heard of such behavior?
    Last edited by Dragan; 24-03-2009 at 02:49 AM.

Re: Wireless network key is no longer valid

Hi Dragon,

Can you tell us which netgear wireless router you are using? and if possible tell me the security type of it.

You should be able to manually reset the wireless router by either pressing the little button in the back marked reset. If your router doesn't have that you may have to go in through the http interface and do it there. The fun thing about wireless security is that it doesn't apply to wired lines so if your wireless router has ethernet ports in the back you can plug your machine into one of those and it will be able to access the internet. Hit me back if you have any more questions.

We are using Netgear wireless router WPN824v2 with RangeMax.

Reset of router is not the solution I am looking for. I need permanent solution - that means I would like that this reset of network key will not be needed anymore.

You need to reset the unit & remove the Firmware and reinstall due to a Firmware corruption.

This is what you'll have to do....

Hardware reset: Push the reset button on the back for 15 seconds.

Software reset:

1. Type 192.168.0.231 in a Web browser.
    2. Click on Backup Settings.
    3. In the Revert to Factory Default Settings click Erase.

IMPORTANT! Do not try to go online, turn off the access point, shutdown the computer or do anything else to the access point until it finishes restarting! When the Test light (looks like a check mark) stops blinking, wait a few more seconds before doing anything with the access point.

Then go through the setup wizard again then download the latest firmware here http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2629

You will have to check how to change the date/page in your router manual - if you havent got one connect using wired connection and download it from your router manefacturer site.
    If it still doesn't work, go back to the router and pull the power plug. Leave it unplugged for at least two minutes. This will reset the router to defaults, however, your wired system will still work. Enter the router and make sure it is set to work with wireless by typing 196.168.2.1 on your browser.

This hints seems promising. I will let you know about outcome...