Thread: Problem with Netgear FVS114 Setup

Problem with Netgear FVS114 Setup

I am facing a strange problem with my Netgear wireless router. I tried to setup this router for a small home office network. I also have AT&T DSL with a 2wire modem.

The problem is as I try to enter the setup, it prompts me to add user name and password, I also tried with AT&T username and password which i think is to be default for Netgear router. It is not making me avail. Please provide some suggestion regarding this.
    Can you help?

Please provide some help regarding this issue

Your help will be appreciated

Re: Problem with Netgear FVS114 Setup

Wi-Fi networks can be configured in two different ways: "Ad hoc" mode allows wireless devices to communicate in peer-to-peer mode with each other.
    "Infrastructure" mode allows wireless devices to communicate with a central node that in turn can communicate with wired nodes on that LAN.
    "Ad hoc" mode allows wireless devices to communicate in peer-to-peer mode with each other.
    "Infrastructure" mode allows wireless devices to communicate with a central node that in turn can communicate with wired nodes on that LAN.

Most LANs require infrastructure mode to access the Internet, a local printer, or other wired services, whereas ad hoc mode supports only basic file sharing between wireless devices.

Both Wi-Fi modes require wireless network adapters, sometimes called WLAN cards. Infrastructure mode WLANs additionally require a central device called the access point. The access point must be installed in a central location where wireless radio signals can reach it with minimal interference. Although Wi-Fi signals typically reach 100 feet (30 m) or more, obstructions like walls can greatly reduce their range.

Network routers receive their power from an ordinary home electrical socket. When powered on, lights (LEDs) signify the unit is operating.

Network routers must be carefully configured when they are first installed. Like computers and other devices on the home network, routers must be set up with IP addresses. Routers also offer optional (but strongly recommended) security features.

Routers contain built-in software to enable setup. You access this software through your Web browser on any computer connected to the router.

Right-click the wireless network icon in the lower-right corner of your screen, and then click View Available Wireless Networks. If you run into any problems, consult the documentation that came with your network adapter. Don't be afraid to call their tech support.

The Wireless Network Connection window should appear and you should see your wireless network listed with the network name you chose. If you don't see your network, click Refresh network list in the upper-left corner. Click your network, and then click Connect in the lower-right corner.

Windows XP prompts you to enter a key. Type the encryption key that you wrote down earlier in both the Network key and Confirm network key boxes, and then click Connect.

Windows XP will show its progress as it connects to your network. After you're connected, you can now close the Wireless Network Connection window. You're done.

Plug the router's power supply into an outlet. Once it's on, look for the name of the router in your computer's wireless network list. This router's default name is "linksys," which appeared immediately in my wireless access point (AP) list when it was plugged in. Connect to the new router just by selecting it from your list.

See how easy you connected to your new router? That's how easy it is for your next door neighbor to do the same. Before we do anything, we're going to configure your router. First, take the cable that came with your router, and plug one end into one of the router's four ports (any one EXCEPT the one labelled "Internet" or "WAN.") Then plug the other into your computer.

To get to your router's settings, you'll have to visit a special web site address made up of numbers that should be indicated in your router's documentation. In my case that address is http://192.1xx.x.x/. I've also seen routers use http://192.xx.x.x/. You will be asked for an administrative password which should also be documented either on the router itself or in the manual. It will be something like admin/password or just default. Once you've logged in, you should be presented with the router's settings area.

These pages look different for every router but contain the same settings. Your interface might vary, but on this model, under "Basic Wireless Settings," I changed the name of the access point from "linksys" to "ginanet." I also chose "G-only" access since I know there are no B devices on my network. If you're not sure about B or G, leave it on "Mixed."

Next, under Wireless Security, turn on WEP encryption. Enter a passphrase and click "Generate." The Key fields will be filled in with a password. Either copy and paste one of these passwords to a text file on your computer OR write it down on a piece of paper that you'll keep near the router. Anyone who wants to connect to your router will need this password. Be sure to save these settings.

Last, make sure that not just anyone can log into and change your router's settings. Under Administration, change the password from the default that you used to something unique to you. Also write down this password and stick it on or near the router for later reference.

Once your configuration is complete, unplug the cable from your computer to the router. Choose the name you chose for your access point on your computer. You should be prompted for a password. Use one of the generated keys you set up earlier. All goes well, you'll be connected to your wireless router.

Note: For some reason I'm not sure of (educate me if you are), you have to put a dollar sign in front of the WEP key on the Mac to connect. So if your key is 7B3BD2B77A, enter $7B3BD2B77A at the network password prompt to log on. This does NOT apply to Windows.

Now that you're connected to your router, you want to get your router on the Internet so you can start surfing the information superhighway sans cords. Plug the Ethernet cable from your cable or DSL modem into the port labeled "Internet" or "WAN" on the back of your router

Then - and this is IMPORTANT - unplug the power supply on the modem so it is completely turned off. Then, re-plug in the cable modem's power supply. Give it a minute or two to turn on and connect to the internet.

Go back to the router's configuration page (the http://192.x.x.x/ address.) Under Status, your router should list an IP address that's something other than 000.000.000.000. If so, it's connected to the internet. This means you can surf away!