Thread: Can't get router to connect at right speed

Can't get router to connect at right speed

Hi,
    I have a modem router D-LINK DSL-G624T and Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC card. My problem is that I can max get 10Mbps from my router.
    When I want to connect to 100 mbps via the gigabit card. I can connect only 5 min.streamen my mediaplayer. I pull the plug from the router and got back in about 5 min connection. Set my gigabit card 10Mbps, the connection does not (can or on the internet) but can not stream. In my old computer I had the router without power to take back the connection. Cables are also replaced my modem and media streamer. Only the strange is that wireless will continue to work on the laptop computer and on top of 10 and 100Mbps.
    Can anyone help!!!

Re: Can't get router to connect at right speed

Well, first off the wireless card must be a Belkin pre-N card or else you wil not be able to get it to work. If it is, I'd suggest going to the manufacturer's site (or tech support for help).

In any even - it won't make any difference! Since the other computer is not using a Belkin Pre-N card and your internet connection is under 10Mb/s that extra bandwidth can't be used anyway. Even if the other computer was also Pre-N and both shared 108Mb/s you wouldn't be able to use all that bandwith just transferring files between the two computers because your hard drives can't push data that fast.

Yes, the router will max out at 10 Mbps. This can have a great effect on your connection speed. I would suggest purchasing a faster router to enable the speed made possible by the cable internet. This seems still very slow however for a cable connection. I have cable internet, and it runs at 100.0 Mbps. I think you should check out your network connection speed in Network Connections under the control panel. You can also call the cable provider to figure out the max speed output by the Cable internet.

Sounds about right. Your WAN uplink on that router is only 10 mbps, so if you get a ethernet standard 50% to 60% usable from max bandwidth, that would be 5 to 6 mbps.