Thread: Problem sharing via SAMBA between Mac Pro and iBook G4.

Problem sharing via SAMBA between Mac Pro and iBook G4.

Hello,

I have a problem sharing via SAMBA between my Mac Pro and my iBook G4.
    Both are under MacOS X.5.6. I've shared my home folder on each machine, and since the "Connect to Server" I recorded the path to access the directory of the other Mac. The authentication works fine, I can see the folder on my G4 Mac Pro and vice versa.

The problem comes from the display elements in the shared folder: locally on my machine A: everything is OK, but through the network from my machine B, some directories are renamed, and some documents. (8 characters with a ~). Navigation in these directories is not possible.

Thank you for your lights.

Re: Problem sharing via SAMBA between Mac Pro and iBook G4.

I'm not sure this is related, but Samba share, some characters are forbidden: perfectly readable on the Mac they are replaced by hieroglyphs on Windows, including characters from the following list:
    ?
    [
    ]
    /
    \
    =
    +
    <
    >
    ;
    :
    "
    |

This may help your sharing. For me I had a 1st time renamed the files, then using Sharepoint the problem had disappeared.SharePoints is an application or a preference pane that makes it easy to add and delete share points like in the old Finder.

Why use a samba share if the two positions are Macs?

A prior afp connections can also be done with the machine name instead of IP address. However once the connection made with the IP address just create an alias for the store and make further connections with a simple double-click on this icon. For differences in speed, it does not hit me until now.

Can a connection in cifs solve your problem? I personally use either smb or cifs to connect to a network drive in Raid and I have no problems with these characters.

All this is nice but it is networks of problems to be addressed in the forum Internet & Networking.

The next 8 characters with a ~ "is reminiscent of names in DOS ; it look like a Samba option to enable / disable:" mangled names "in the configuration file of Samba / etc / smb.conf.