Thread: Blocking wireless connection to router in vista

Blocking wireless connection to router in vista

it is more than possible i am missing something quite obvious, so apologies in advance if i am wasting anyone's time with this.

i am using a vista desktop and have it wired to the router, no problem, internet connectivity is fine.
    laptops are also occassionally used in the home by other family members, accessing the router wirelessly, again with little or no problem.

however, internet access is sometimes extremely laggy and at these times the wireless indicator light is flickering greatly (presumably indicating bandwidth useage...) even when no family member seems to be using a laptop.

i am somewhat suspicious that others our piggy-backing our wireless at times, giving us reduced connectivity.

i have looked as far as i can see into disabling the wireless access but can find no wireless connection from this desktop (understandable since it is connected with a cable...). without a wireless connection link i dont see how i can password protect it or something...

under device manager > modem there seems to be no option of turning off the wireless part, only the whole thing.

am i being stupid?
    Last edited by chousaru; 19-03-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    one man's fish is another man's poisson...

Re: Blocking wireless connection to router in vista

Hello , Most wireless networks are completely unprotected when you first set them up. However, in just a few minutes, you can protect your wireless network by using the same method banks use to protect your password when you log on to their Web sites: encryption. Encryption scrambles data on your wireless network so that only computers that have the encryption key can read your communications.

For more Info please Check this threads
    How to make Wi-Fi secure
    Protect Your Wireless Network

Hi,
    do this!
    1. Connect to the router (address 192.168.0.1 or similar) using a web browser.
    2. Details in the router manual
    3. Find the section dealing with Wireless-LAN
    4. Turn off/disable the access point

OR
    Go into the internal configuration website of the router and go to the wireless settings and turn it off. Some wireless routers let you choose operating mode: 802.11b, 802.11g, off . This should take care of the problem.

If the wireless is left switched on and the security isn't set up then anyone passing by can leach off your broadband, (using up your allowance if it is limited) and of course anything illegal they up/download appears to belong to You.
    IF YOU CAN'T Convince THEM ...

CONFUSE THEM ...

I pin the icon "Wireless Network Connection" of "Network Connections" to the start menu. Then I can enable/disable it by just right-click it. Of course you can put that icon on anywhere, say, desktop . Hope that will help you.

smile Re: Blocking wireless connection to router in vista

hi there, and thanks for all your swift replies.

i have entered the setting up a wireless connection section (which redirected me to the manufacturers config website) and discovered that there was no encryption.

there are several choices - they recommend 128bit, but there is also something called WPA-PSK and WPA was mentioned as being preferable - which should i choose? (i have defaulted to 128 for now).

after the router finished its reconfiguration the wirless indicator completely stopped flashing. if this flashing was only due to family members i am sure i will get some complaints!

presumably i can just give them the encryption passphrase for them to access it again.

many thanks once again!

Quote Originally Posted by chousaru View Post

i have entered the setting up a wireless connection section (which redirected me to the manufacturers config website) and discovered that there was no encryption.

there are several choices - they recommend 128bit, but there is also something called WPA-PSK and WPA was mentioned as being preferable - which should i choose? (i have defaulted to 128 for now).

after the router finished its reconfiguration the wirless indicator completely stopped flashing. if this flashing was only due to family members i am sure i will get some complaints!

presumably i can just give them the encryption passphrase for them to access it again.

many thanks once again!

Hello you Should choose WPA-PSK (also known as WPA-Personal). A more secure alternative to WEP, but because it is newer, it is not as widely supported. Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 supports WPA, so this type of encryption is the best choice if you plan to connect only Windows XP computers to your wireless network. However, if you have wireless devices that don't support WPA, such as media extenders or wireless cameras, you'll have to use WEP on your network instead. You might also see the security method called "WPA-Enterprise." As the name suggests, this method of network encryption is designed for business use. Setup for WPA-Enterprise is more complex than for other types of encryption, and it requires special network infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by chousaru View Post

many thanks once again!
    Could you tell us which router you are using? It will help me to guide you in a proper way and in proper direction.

Now talking about your problem, it seems to me that the sole problem (slow internet) lies basically on your configuration (on both router as well as computer). If you want to secure your connection, you can do so even with WEP (it is safe). The slow internet connection can also come from an old router, or from your internet connection (from ISP), or depend on your usage and many more.

hi,

the router is a siemens speedstream 6520, supplied by Aliant (the ISP), if that helps.

interestingly, when the 2 laptop users raised their heads i set about helping them enter the passphrase for the encryption but neither seemed to accept it - typing in the generated encryption key manually did work though. so all in all it has been a success.

streaming the ice hockey game while a laptop was being used for internet surfing was less than satisfactory. stopping the laptop then allowed the video streaming to work normally. with this in mind i wonder if it might indeed be just a busy time at the telephone exchange... XD

many thanks!