Thread: Cannot connect to VPN

Cannot connect to VPN

I have a server running Windows server 2008 and have installed a VPN connection to my router. When I try to connect to the VPN from my Windows Xp computer get "Error 721: remote computer did not respond.This seems to be a common problem, but all the sites I found to say to ship ports mentioned above. If I use my Internet IP address I can not connect me. It seems to me to be a router issue but I can not figure out why. All appropriate ports are forwarded, the emulation of VPN is it permitted, and the server is installed to accept the traffic.please can anyone help?

Re: Cannot connect to VPN

On the server network, you should just have to forward the ports which you seem to be doing already. Other configs may need to be issued depending on the type of router.

If you have a SOHO router on the client end, you will need to enable PPTP Passthrough. You should not have to forward any ports on this end. If the client end has a Verizon DSL connection to the internet using a Westell DSL Modem/Router you are going to have issues connecting.

If you are attempting to connect to the VPN while on the same phyiscal network as the server, using the WAN IP Address, it probably will not work either.

Re: Cannot connect to VPN

if you have linksys ,Make sure the linksys is at the most recent firmware. Try to dial down the MTU on the system (I've had problems where an ISP was silently dropping large ipsec packets) - but don't leave that setting if it doesn't help. Try to change the private IP range of your linksys to something unusual (99% will be set up for 192.168.1.0/24, change yours to 192.168.187.0/24 or 10.4.5.0/24 for example - older Checkpoint VPNs that don't use Office Mode get confused by multiple connections from the same NAT space, or if your private network is the same range as the corprate network).