Thread: How do i setup SpeedTouch modem

idea How do i setup SpeedTouch modem

Hello Friends,

I'm having two different modems with me, but i'm unable to connect it to the internet. I would like to use a Speed Touch modem for accessing the internet connection. Do any one have any idea how do i set up a SpeedTouch modem? Any kind of information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: How do i setup SpeedTouch modem

When you first access the router's web interface, you will see a screen. In this the ADSL line had only just been connected, so the line status was initializing. Once the router syncs to the DSLAM at the exchange, this will be indicated. To actually set-up the router, click on the Advanced mode in the menu on the left of the screen, and select Easy Setup. The setup method we are showing is termed the 'Operating System Independent SpeedTouch Configuration Setup'.

Once Easy Setup has been selected the SpeedTouch Setup wizard will appear. The wizard will guide you through the basic settings, and should get you online very quickly.

• The first stage is to select a service profile. For UK sourced SpeedTouch two profiles are included. The difference between the Default and Custom settings, is that Custom allows you to select things like the IP address for the router.
    • We actually selected the Custom Settings option, for the following set of screenshots, since it illustrates more of the options. Next you need to enter the username and password given to you by your ISP for the ADSL service. If your provider has not given you a password, (e.g. BT Broadband users) then you will still need to enter a password for the wizard to continue, in which case enter anything.
    • The next step is about controlling access to the router's configuration pages at a later date. If you are happy that your local network will be secure, then you can select the No Username and No Password option for the router. We do recommend at least using one of the password protected options, particularly as until you setup the wireless security the router is visible to everyone.
    • The subsequent step, brings more questions for you to answer. The firewall has three options, On, allow ping/tracert and Off. Even if you select the firewall off option, any computers are still protected from most attacks by the basic NAT functionality of the router. The Remote Support option only really needs to be enabled if you are likely to want someone to be able to remotely access the router, for example as part of an ISP support package. For people who know they will have no need for UPnP, this can be disabled.
    • The vast majority of users will have no need to alter anything on this next screen. Those who have a block of static IP addresses from their service provider, and want to use the router in a NON-NAT mode can select this in the LAN addressing scheme drop down. For those who want to run the router on a different local LAN IP range, that is also possible by specifying a different IP address for the SpeedTouch e.g. 192.168.0.1.
    • The next step governs the DHCP server built into the router. You can if you feel the need disable the DHCP server totally, but this will require you to manually set-up the IP address, gateway, subnet mask and DNS fields for every computer attached to the router. Our example reflects the fact that earlier we elected to use the IP range 192.168.0.x for the router.
    • The final step is simply a summary screen, so you can double check what options you have set, before telling the router to alter its configuration to these parameters.
    • Once everything is finished, the router kindly tells you, and you should be ready now to actually use the Internet connection, assuming your ADSL line is working, and the login details were correct.
    • The router's web interface, once the configuration process has finished, should look like the example below. This shows an enabled ADSL line with a 1Mbps connection that has been running for 4 minutes and 29 seconds.

This set-up may seem somewhat long winded, but remember we chose the custom path, which gives more flexibility. The default path has a lot less options.

First, you must configure your TCP/IP connection to use your modem as the default gateway. The procedure for this varies slightly depending on the operating system you are using, but the settings you will need to use are as follows:

IP Address (of your machine): 10.0.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 10.0.0.138
    IMPORTANT: make note of the current settings before you change them because you will need to change them back in order to connect to the Internet again.

Once you have done that, you may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. Then you can type 10.0.0.138 in your web browser to access the modem configuration pages.

Note that you will not be able to connect to the Internet using your modem while doing this, so it is a good idea to have any material you need either printed out or saved to your computer since you will not be able to consult resources on the internet for assistance.

To set up your SpeedTouch modem router:

1. Open a browser such as Internet Explorer, type the following speedtouch website.

2. Under the Home Network section click Wireless.

3. The Wireless Access Point page will open. Click the Configure link in the top right-hand corner of the page.

4. In the Encryption section select Use WPA-PSK encryption.

5. Enter a word or phrase in the Encryption Key box. This word or phrase needs to be at least eight characters long, but no more than 64. Careful note should be made of this as it needs to be typed exactly is it is here when configuring other wireless devices. The key used for WPA is case sensitive.

6. Select TKIP as the Encryption Type, then click Apply to complete the setup.