Thread: Network over 1 Gigabit - directly or switch?

Network over 1 Gigabit - directly or switch?

hi,
    I have 2 PC's connected at my home.We have a simple 8-port Gbit switch to the router, the X-Box, Dreambox and the two PC's hang. If I now from PC A to PC B wants to move data, so yes the whole thing runs on the router. Would it be faster if I have the two additional PCs would connect directly? Both motherboards have 2x Gbit LAN connection. So each would still 1x Lan left, so I use the two PC's can connect directly. Does it make sense?

Re: Network over 1 Gigabit - directly or switch?

While you have the theoretical possibility, the two onboard lan connections to "bridge" was then 2Gbit technically equivalent but with router in between will not go. and if you 1GBit conversion (~ 125mb/sec) you will see that you with the most normal hard disk can not deliver.

you could still enable jumbo frames, but devices that do not support their service will fail.

hi,
    most current hard disk provide 125mb / s and software RAID is not, because if the router just hangs at the switch your traffic is running in any case no further than the router! the network speed of hard drives measured independently.

I also thought about connecting switch. Wanted to know whether it is better, the PC's directly together, or whether it is better to switch on the drive.

The variant Switch I prefer of course, because the router assigns the addresses easily.

can you despite your router IPs manually. 2nd - if the PCs on Gigabit Switch are, they are also entertained with this speed with one another, provided of course the PC has a gigabit port. from the Gigabit switch to the router then go from there to the web.