Thread: Shows 0 packets sent

ohmy Shows 0 packets sent

Hey Everyone,

I''m running Windows Xp Service Pack 2 on my system. Recently i have bought a new compatible wireless adapter for my desktop. I'm trying to go online, but the problem is that i'm getting only 60% signal strength and even doesn't manage to acquire an IP address even after an hour, of trying to get connected. When i try to check my status i can only see that i can receive packets but it shows 0 packets sent. I did a modification to increase my signal strength and now i'm able to get 100% signal strength, but from one of the IP's, i still can't go online, it shows no IP, and still it shows 0 packets sent. I don't understand why i'm facing such problem. Can any one help me out to resolve this issue? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Shows 0 packets sent

PerformanceTest displays the amount of data sent / received in bytes. So you could just divide this number by the packet size to get the number of packets.

Another alternative would be to use the Windows task manager. You can select additional columns of information to display on the network tab. I think you can see packet counts.

A third alternative would be to wait a couple of days for the official beta release of our WirelessMon software. It can be used to count packets as well. It will be available on our web site in a couple of days.

With just the information you provided, it could be many things. I would start with how your network is configured. Is your router optimized for wireless? The next thing I would look at is your USB adapter are the drivers installed properly? These USB adapters are great, but I would only install the drivers and not all the bundled software that comes on the CD. Let Windows manage the connection.

The netstat -p protocol shows statistics about the value specified for the protocol variable (udp, tcp, ip, icmp), which is either a well-known name for a protocol or an alias for it.

Some protocol names and aliases are listed in the /etc/protocols file. A null response indicates that there are no numbers to report. If there is no statistics routine for it, the program report of the value specified for the protocol variable is unknown.

To display traffic from the point of view of the Packet Forwarding Engine, enter the following JUNOS CLI operational mode command: user@host> show pfe statistics traffic

The following sample output was taken before packets were sent:

user@R2> show pfe statistics traffic
    PFE Traffic statistics:

635392 packets input (0 packets/sec)

829862 packets output (0 packets/sec)

PFE Local Traffic statistics:

579278 local packets input

773747 local packets output

0 software input high drops

0 software input medium drops

0 software input low drops

1 software output drops

0 hardware input drops

PFE Local Protocol statistics:

0 hdlc keepalives

0 atm oam

0 fr lmi

254613 ppp lcp/ncp

0 ospf hello

0 rsvp hello

107203 isis iih

PFE Hardware Discard statistics:

0 timeout

0 truncated key

0 bits to test

0 data error

0 stack underflow

0 stack overflow

0 normal discard

0 extended discard

0 invalid iif

0 info cell drops

0 fabric drops

The sample output shows the number and rate of packets entering and leaving the Packet Forwarding Engine. For example, the 100 packets sent to R2 were discarded due to a route that had a discard next hop configured, as shown in the PFE Hardware Discard statistics field. All counters increased as a result of the 100 packets.