Thread: Home Network Setup Problems

sad Home Network Setup Problems

I have a problem with my home network. My wireless laptop (an HP) has a Vista operating system. My desktop is also a Vista operating system. I just installed a linksys network system and I did everything that windows told me to do (creating the same name workgroup, making sure everything is on and receiving, etc.) It will read the internet, so I can get on the internet through the wireless (to my relief), but the computer itself doesn't show up on the laptop and I cannot print from it to the desktops printer or any form of file sharing. When I typed in for the laptop to find the desktop by name it said it didn't exist or I was typing the name wrong (which neither was true). It does read the other computers media files (which I thought was strange) but the icon for the computer itself is not on the Network page, only the laptop computer, the laptop media icon, the wireless adapter, and the desktops media icon. SO I can't click on anything to even find the printer.
    I called HP and they said it was a microsoft issue. I don't know what else to do, anyone have any ideas? The desktop is 6 months old, and the laptop is almost a year. Thanks for the help in advance.

Re: Home Network Setup Problems

Hi there!
    You need to configure the linksys router to enable file and printer sharing and discovery topology. in the web browser type the following address : 192.168.1.1 and press enter [default] it will take you to the router's settings page. Now configure what you are required to... refer linksys manual if necessary...
    All the best..!

It is important to make sure that you have installed the correct device driver for your wireless network adapter. This can cause all sorts of problems or your adapter not to function at all. A friend of mine recently set up his own wireless network at home but complained to me that his wireless network connection was going “crazy”. Upon inspection I realized that he had configured his router properly but installed the 5v instead of the 3v driver on his laptop PCMCIA network card. Once the correct driver was installed, everything began to run smoothly. It just goes to show how even the smallest detail can make all the difference so make sure you have the correct driver installed!

angry Re: Home Network Setup Problems

Please Post your Queries in appropriate section, else it won't be considered or it could be mislead as SPAM...!
    Thread Moved.

Depending on how elaborate they are, home networks can be complicated. Unfortunately, because of this complexity, problems occasionally happen. Fortunately, you can usually solve these problems yourself. In most cases, finding the problem is a matter of going through a series of steps to eliminate potential issues one by one until you find the source of the problem.

Try this links : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ubleshoot.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...lesssetup.mspx

i don t know whether this helps.

To identify which layer is causing the problem.

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click Network and Internet Connections.

3. Under or pick a Control Panel icon, click Network Connections.

4. In the Network Connections window, examine the status of your network adapter:

• Connected:- Your computer is properly connected to your modem, router, or wireless network, but there is a problem between your router and the Internet.
    • Disabled:- Someone has manually disabled the network adapter. To fix the problem, right-click the adapter, and then click Enable.
    • Unplugged:- Your computer cannot detect the connection to your modem or router.
    • Limited or no connectivity:- Your computer is properly connected to your modem, router, or wireless network, but your router is misconfigured or there is a problem between your modem and the Internet.

5. If your network adapter does not appear in the Network Connections window, it has not been properly installed. Uninstall the driver and network adapter. Then reinstall the network adapter according to the manufacturer's instructions.