Thread: WIFI problem under Windows 2000

WIFI problem under Windows 2000

Since Monday, I am trying to connect a new PC that is running Windows 2000 SP4 to my wireless network, but nothing happens.

The WiFi card is a ZyXEL G-302 v3 recognized as such in the management of devices. When I connect to my network, with the proper type and proper encryption key, the icon goes green in the taskbar.

The network is recognized and everything seems to be connected but I can not access the internet. Looking at network traffic in the state of the network connection in Windows, I note for example that the card was sent in 300 or 400 packages then than it has received only 3 or 4 and the number of packets received does not increase.

If I try to restart the connection to the ZyXEL utility, it tries to disable loop then reactivate the wireless network without being able to connect.

I tried to enable, disable or set the automatic management of the wireless network in "services.msc", but nothing happens.

Having never configured WIFI under Win2000, I wanted to know if I missed something or if you have an idea of the problem

Re: WIFI problem under Windows 2000

If it sent 400 packets, it does not come from your PC, but rather access point

I do not know too much about that but I suppose your card is not compatible with the device? (access point/modem/router)

have you tested with NetStumbler?

Windows 2000 does not support WPA encryption, it is probably causing your problem. You must use a third party utility to connect.

I will first dig from the side of the encryption turned off or by switching to WEP (I am currently in WPA-PSK) to see if it comes from there. I tried a little third party utility, probably WPA Assistant, but I can not get their hands on it.

As Archibald says:
    If it sent 400 packets, it does not come from your PC, but rather access point
    OK, so it seems to prove that it has a lock on the PC.

I have a WIFI router and I did not checked if it is compatible with my WiFi card (802.11g), but I have other PCs running XP with ZyXEL card (802.11n) and Netgear (802.11g) which does me no concerns raised at the installation.

Oops sorry, the opposite! It is indeed your PC "issues", that receives nothing. Try to change your card (try the Netgear one) and see if you still have the same issue.