Thread: Dell Studio 17 Wifi Problem

Dell Studio 17 Wifi Problem

I own a Dell Studio 17 laptop with Vista home premium...
    my problem is that whenever I boot Vista...wifi of my laptop gets turned on automatically even if the hardware wifi switch is in the off position ...I have to turn it on and off again to switch off wifi...
    any solutions ?...
    Last edited by aditya_r; 12-03-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Re: Dell Studio 17 Wifi Problem

I dont know about Dell, but my Toshiba's wifi light is always on, and so is the wifi light on every HP, IBM, and Asus I've used. I doubt anything is wrong, unless of course the WiFi isn't working.

Well really you have to pick one, either you want it on or you want it off. It doesn't know the difference between wireless being available or not unless its on. There are a few things that you can do, one is to make sure that in your wireless settings your office access point is set to automatically connect - but no others. The second thing is your laptop should have a function key... usually on one of the F# keys. You press Function (Fn) button and the corresponding F# button to turn on and off your wireless... you can leave the wireless on and the service running and just turn the wireless off on the laptop until you want to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by aditya_r View Post
    I own a Dell Studio 17 laptop with Vista home premium...
    my problem is that whenever I boot Vista...wifi of my laptop gets turned on automatically even if the hardware wifi switch is in the off position ...I have to turn it on and off again to switch off wifi...
    any solutions ?...
    If I am not wrong then this is basically the settings which is defined (either by default or intentionally). Some cards setup are like it wakes up as soon as you boot the operating system. I can't guide you further because it varies from product to product and so you need to check it with your manufacturer's manual.

In Control Panel open Network and Sharing Center (Control Panel in Classic View). Then in the Network and Sharing Center click on Manage Network Connections on the left side menu. Locate your wireless Network Connection. Then point to it and right click it, then click on Status. Then click on the Wireless Properties button, then uncheck the tick in the box for Connect Automatically.

Hello, You can go into the BIOS settings before it boots into windows, usually F7 or F8.Read your computer manual to find out what key. Inside is usually a setting for modem, network cards, and sometimes Wireless networking. It can have a deactivation switch inside your BIOS program. Please read your manual, or pay attention to your boot up, to find the key.

thank you all for your prompt replies...
    I called up the Dell Helpline and they solved the problem...asked me to flash a new bios...now the wifi card does not wake up automatically every time windows boots...