Thread: Securing access to a Laptop

Securing access to a Laptop

Hello everyone,
    I have an Acer laptop.
    On weekends I leave my house and I go out with my girlfriend.
    The problem is that my brothers use my laptop without my prermission. I had put a password to disable my session and the session starts but goes anyway. I wonder if there is a better way to secure access to my laptop. Thank you for your answers!
    I feel sad for people with good imagination.

Re: Securing access to a Laptop

There are three aspects to consider in securing your laptop.

Physical Security
    Physical security involves physical barriers put in place to inhibit access to where your laptop is kept.
    Such barriers, hinder the following circumstances;
    • Theft of your laptop.
    • Damage to your laptop.
    • Theft of information on your laptop.
    • Using your laptop to commit fraudulent activities.

Security Software
    Access to your laptop can also be prevented using security software.

This security software prevents access to your desktop. It ensures that only the owner of the laptop has access to using the applications on the laptop.

Security Consciousness
    After all said and done, without security consciousness on the part of the user or laptop owner, every control put in place to deter access to the laptop would be futile.

Security Consciousness Tips
    • Always lock the door to your office.
    • Always carry your laptop with you.
    • If not in use put it in a safe and lock it.
    • Make sure when nature calls you activate the screen lock and all access doors to your office are locked.
    • Always keep your laptop locked in a box and in the boot of your car when driving.
    • Do not use your laptop in overcrowded places.
    • All the necessary details about your laptop must be written and stored in a safe place i.e. serial number, brand name, model e.t.c.
    • Insure your laptop against loss, such as damage, fire e.t.c.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

If someone should get your laptop and gain access to your files, encryption can give you another layer of protection. With Windows XP and Windows Vista you can choose to encrypt files and folders. Then, even if someone gains access to an important file, they can't decrypt it and see your information. Learn more about how to encrypt your data with Windows XP or encrypt your data with Windows Vista.

Tip #1:
    Never leave any passwords in your laptop case. If you do keep your passwords with your laptop, it’s much like keeping the keys in your car. Remember that without your passwords, it will be more difficult to unlock your computer and access your personal information.

Tip #2:
    Laptop theft is a crime of opportunity. Always take your laptop with you, and always keep your eye on it. For instance, if you’re meeting someone, lock your laptop in the trunk and make sure it’s stored out of the sight. Further more, try not to leave your laptop in an accessible area, such as your hotel’s front desk. If you do have a safe or a security cable, use it.

Tip #3:
    Have sensitive data? Encrypt it. If someone gets your laptop and gains access to your files, encryption can give you an extra layer of protection. Programs such as TrueCrypt make the job very easy. Windows users can use Encrypted File System (EFS) to encrypt files and folders.

Tip #4:
    Password protect your systems. Every laptop user should protect their laptop with startup passwords. Set a BIOS password to lock the system before the operating system even starts. Windows users can set a password to start Windows. Remember that startup passwords will prohibit any access to the computer at all.

Make sure you choose a good password - make it a long one and complex. Only hard-to-guess passwords will prevent thieves from guessing your password. If your laptop supports biometric authentication, you should use your fingerprint in place of a password.

Tip #5:
    If the worse happens, and your laptop does get stolen, wouldn’t it be great if you could trace it? There are companies that offer tracking software, allowing the stolen laptop to send its location (for example, LaptopLock). Unfortunately, those programs work only when the stolen laptop connects to the Internet.