Thread: Unable to Remove Ad-Aware from system tray

Unable to Remove Ad-Aware from system tray

As i wanted to reduce the load as well to clear the Unwanted programs from the computer, I removed both Ad-Aware and TeaTimer from my Startup list with CCleaner, but the icon for Ad-Aware keeps showing up in my system tray. Also, Process Explorer shows both a service app and a tray app as being active for Ad-Aware.

Before I un-install Ad-Aware with CCleaner, I was wondering if that will totally get rid of it, or whether some kind of boot-up error might happen.

Is this to be expected; to see an application still showing up in the tray and in Process Explorer after being removed from Startup by CCleaner?

Thanks,

Re: Unable to Remove Ad-Aware from system tray

You're not the only one, Nurhan, and it's annoying as hell. Ad Aware Free is becoming an in-your-face annoying product with these kinds of things and, with the abundance of Spyware stoppers now available, you can do what I will do, and that is to uninstall this thing and find an alternative.

For now, I just used the task manager to kill AAWTray.exe and have deleted it from my computer directory. It tries to download again it every time I run the program.

s scanner and a online anti-adware/malware/spyware scanner in safe mode with network to clean up your computer BEFORE you download anything.
    To format you computer and reinstall is the last option.

Turn off system restore before you boot up in safe mode with network to clean your system restore points for viruses, spyware, adware etc.

To get in safe mode tap F8 when booting you computer.
    Choose "Safe mode with network".
    Go to Start – Run - type iexplore http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html Enter(ok).
    Do a full system scan. If something is found, delete it, reboot and do the same again in safe mode with network.
    When that scan does not find anything you reboot again in safe mode with network.
    Go to Start – Run – type iexplore http://www.ewido.net/en/ Enter(ok).
    Do a full system scan. If something is found, delete it, reboot and do the same again in safe mode with network.

**NOTE: Do NOT do anything else with your computer when scanning. This because you can start virus/adware/spyware/malware manually.

When no one of these scanners are showing anything you can reboot back to normal mode.
    Turn on system restore.

Hi,

You have a rather nasty infection called Bube D. Please follow these instructions.

You may want to print this out.

I notice that you have Spybot's TeaTimer running. While this is normally a wonderful tool to protect against hijackers, it can also interfere with HijackThis fixes. So please disable TeaTimer by doing the following:
    1) Run Spybot-S&D
    2) Go to the Mode menu, and make sure "Advanced Mode" is selected
    3) On the left hand side, choose Tools -> Resident
    4) Uncheck "Resident TeaTimer" and OK any prompts
    5) Restart your computer.
    You can reenable TeaTimer once your system is clean.

Go here to download the free KAV Personal 5.0 Trial (good for 30 days)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/index.html

make an installation of that and try to clean your system.

To remove the Ad-Aware Free Anniversary Edition icon from your tray, open the program, go to Extras > Toolbox > Settings > Appearance. In the area marked "General," check the box that says "Hide notification area icon." Click "OK," close the program, then reboot your pc.

The item will still be checked in your startup configurations (it needs to be running to function properly), but the icon will no longer show up in your tray.

Hope this helps.