Thread: Disable "READ-ONLY" folder option.

Disable "READ-ONLY" folder option.

Hello Friends,

I have taken some files from my friend in which i wanted to make some changes as it is a project file,and now i need to disactivate the Read-Only folder attribute. When i try to save a file from another software, it says me that the folder is read-only and i can't desactivate this property.
    To remove the unchecked from the "Read-Only" I do the following, I made right click on folder, then click on "Read-Only" property, Applied the changes, but when i see the folder property, the attribute is checked again.

How should i get rid of this issues....

Disable "READ-ONLY" folder option through safe mode

I will suggest you the simple steps as just to make sure that It should allow you remove the" Read only " for required application. Try starting up your computer in safe mode by pressing F8 on the startup screen (before the Windows XP logo). Then try to change it to not read-only and restart your computer in regular mode. Tell me if this works, and if it doesn't I'll try to think of something else.

Re: Disable "READ-ONLY" folder option.

Which operating system your are using, Because "Read-only" permission differs in different Operating system.

I have Windows Vista installed on my computer and i try to make the folder "Read-only" which does not happened properly, Please give some suggestions..

By default in Vista, folders do not have a read-only attribute. Only files have a read-only attribute. Any changes to the folder's read-only box will only affect the files inside the folder, then the read-only box will default back to blue when you check it again.

Read-only files cannot be modified. They can only be copied, moved, renamed, or deleted.
    Warning:
    1. If you copy a read-only file, the copy will not be read-only.
    2. It is possible that changing a read-only file can cause a program that relies on the file to stop working properly, so be sure that it's okay to change a read-only file before you proceed.

I'm having the same problem in Windows XP home

I set both the 'share this folder' and 'allow network users to change' on the folders...still can't see the folder on a networked machine. I went back to investigate--in windows explorer, the folders are set to read-only [semi-selected, not checked] and no matter what I try, when I do-select and check again, it's still read-only...[I did it in win explorer using right-click/properties and in the sharing dialog box under 'General' tab, folders and sub-folders, and then each individually]

Please help! Thanks...