Thread: System Error 53, 0x80070035, SMB Drive Mapping Problem

System Error 53, 0x80070035, SMB Drive Mapping Problem

I am in big trouble as it is concerned with the 4 of my computer out of which two are Server level on the other two i have installed Ubuntu and Kbuntu.

Here i will explain how do i arrange all of that on the system. The Two server which has the server level confige out of that one is installed with the vista as my workstation through which i access all the PC's on the network.

And on my second computer has Windows XP installed on it,i have all the data which is inclusive of all of my documents, music, etc. which i consider as the main file server, has always run fine. XP, MacOS, *Nix, etc have all been able to connect to it just fine in the past.

The problem is that The first PC is not communicating with the file server,It refuses to connect. I am using the IP address and not the computer name to mount the drives, ie \\192.168.25.72\data\music\ and it still throws me the 0x80070035 error every time. It can access shares on XP machines.

I have also tried a net view from the command line and get

C:\Users\John>net view 192.168.42.10
    System error 53 has occurred.

I thing the first server is not able to find the path for the second computer..

What you suggest guys...

Re: System Error 53, 0x80070035, SMB Drive Mapping Problem

When you attempt to establish a NetBIOS over TCP/IP connection (such as a file share or print share) to a remote computer, your computer must:

• Locate the IP address for the remote computer.
    • Establish a TCP/IP connection to the remote computer.
    • Establish a NetBIOS session to one of the NetBIOS names registered on the remote computer.

Windows NT 4.0 computers use the following logic when using a FQDN for this process: (for example, when you type "net use \\host1.domain2.com\public")

• Use a DNS or hosts file to locate the IP address for host1.domain2.com.
    • Establish a TCP/IP connection to that IP address.
    • Try to establish a NetBIOS session to the NetBIOS name "host1".
    • If that fails, send an Adapter Status Query to the IP address, and parse the returned NetBIOS name table for the server name.
    • Establish a NetBIOS session to the server name.

For cases when the hostname does not match the NetBIOS (server) name, this process relies upon the Adapter Status Query, which is a UDP datagram sent to UDP port 137. In some cases, such as certain firewall environments, the Adapter Status Query may fail.

Gather some more details about your environment...

Any additional components of the client installed?What protocols are bound to the client?

Event Viewer logs in Windows showing anything unusual?Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?

Security or any other driver-based software like firewall, VPN, remote management or antivirus installed and running?

Can you give us any details about the make/model of hardware, NIC and its drivers, etc. of these workstations?

You may want to have a look at the setupapi.log file that Windows creates for anything unusual after the Novell Client was installed...

Okay, I think I'm beginning to understand the terminology you're using and what you're trying to do.

If you connect to smb://server1/vol1/share1, as far as the Mac is concerned, you're connecting to the server known as "server1" and mounting the shared "vol1."

share1 is just a folder on vol1. It's not a "share" and it can't be mounted without first mounting vol1. So that's what it does.

share2 is just another folder on vol1. It's not a "share" either. And if you've already mounted vol1, then there's nothing else to do...you're already connected to vol1.

If you want to connect to share1 and/or share2 independently of one another (and of vol1) then you're going to have to create actual shares on server1. [That is, on server1, if it's a Windows Server box, you right-click on share1, click Sharing & Security, click Share, give the share a name, etc.]

n.b. There is no "mapping" on a Mac. Macs do not use "drives" or "drive letters" to identify filesystems. Using the word "mapping" will only serve to confuse you as to what is going on.