Thread: How to find out that wake on lan is enabled on my server

How to find out that wake on lan is enabled on my server

Hello, I seek to determine whether the wake on lan is enabled on my server.
    Could you tell me how to get it on the bios on a server?
    Thank you for the ahead up.
    ALWAYS RIGHT - OTHER WISE I WUDNT SEY IT

Re: How to find out that wake on lan is enabled on my server

What is your server? Press DEL or F2 or F8 at startup?

It is a fujitsu and installed with windows home server.
    I do know that access with Remote Desktop, I don t have a VGA output, port or keyboard / mouse.
    ALWAYS RIGHT - OTHER WISE I WUDNT SEY IT

I dont know for windows server but for Ubuntu version 8.10 you can follow the steps given below:

I have followed this guide without any luck: http://sethbc.org/2008/10/12/wake-on...intrepid-ibex/

If I set the wol g feature, using ethtool direct, or using the script, the value changes from d to g.
    But Ubuntu seems to clear this setting again when closing.

Output from ethtool, after enabling wol:

Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 1
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: pg
    Wake-on: g
    Current message level: 0x000000c5 (197)
    Link detected: yes

I have even tried using 3 other brands of networking cards without any luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Kim -

Update: (30 minutes later...)

After reading this post, I tried adding this line to the /etc/rc.local file:
    ethtool -s eth0 wol g

This seems to have done the trick.

It seems like overkill to have both the startup script, and the rc.local code, but I will just leave it there for now.

Hopefully this can help someone else.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Getting Wake On Lan (sometimes called Remote Wake Up) to work
    Wake on LAN (WOL) is a standard that allows you to turn on a computer from another location over a network connection.

Requirements:
    • You must have an ATX 2.01 (or above)-compliant power supply, and an ATX motherboard with a WOL connector.
    • You must have a WOL-compliant network card with a WOL connector. An example is the 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C905B-TX, but not the 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C905B-TX-NM (non-managed).
    • Compare the WOL pin descriptions for your network card and for your motherboard. The must be identical; otherwise, your motherboard or power supply may be damaged.
    • Your BIOS must support WOL, and the WOL option in your BIOS setup must be enabled. If you don't see a WOL option, check the manufacturer of your motherboard for an updated BIOS.
    • Your network card drivers must also support WOL; check with your network card manufacturer for the latest drivers.

Configuring your Network Card:
    In order for WOL to work, your network card must go into "standby mode" when you power down your computer. If any of your network card's lights are still lit after you shut down, then it's configured properly, and you can skip the rest of this section. Othewise, if none of the lights remain lit after powering down, you'll need to do the following.

• Double-click the Network icon in Control Panel, or right-click on your Network Neighborhood icon and select Properties.
    • Select your WOL-compliant network adapter from the list, click Properties, and choose the Advanced tab.
    • Highlight NDIS Driver Version, and change it's value to NDIS 4 (the default setting is Auto Select). If either the Advanced tab or the NDIS Driver Version setting are missing, then you'll need to obtain more up-to-date drivers from the manufacturer of your network card.
    • Also in the Advanced tab, change the settings for Wake on Link and Wake on Magic Packet accordingly, if they're there.
    • When you're done, click Ok, and then Ok again. Confirm that you want to restart Windows when asked.
    • After restarting, shut down and check the light again. If it still doesn't work, contact from the manufacturer of your network card for support.

Waking a Computer Remotely with WOL:
    In order to wake a shut-down computer with WOL properly configured, you need a program that can send the proper packets over your network. The following programs do this:

• LANDesk Client Manager, revision 3.10 or later, by Intel. This software comes with most WOL-compliant motherboards.
    • Magic Packet by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD). This software is a free download from AMD.

For more information follow this link.