Thread: Problem with Host File

unsure Problem with Host File

Hey Friends

I have installed Windows Xp on my system, i don't know the exact problem but i think the problem is with my host file. I don't know exactly whether its a virus problem but when ever i try to run a spyware on my pc, it is picking up between 700-800 infections in the host file. Can any one tell me what exactly the problem is, and how do i get rid out of this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Problem with Host File

There are several legitimate programs that add entries to the HOSTS file. This is why it's important to keep a backup of your existing HOSTS file. When you update via the "mvps.bat" this will rename your existing file. If needed you can open HOSTS.MVP and copy and paste to the new existing HOSTS file any other needed entries.

If you create a Hosts file in another folder or with a different name and you then copy or rename the file to %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts, you may not be able to resolve host names in the new Hosts file. If you open the new Hosts file in Notepad one time and then save it, you can then resolve the names in the new Host file.

The HOSTS file is an ASCII text file that statically maps local and remote host names and IP addresses. It is located in \systemroot\ System32\Drivers\etc.

The HOSTS file is not case sensitive, however, some utilities that you will use may be. Entries in the HOSTS file are limited to 255 characters per entry. The HOSTS file is used by PING and other Winsock utilities to resolve host names locally and remotely. One HOSTS file must reside on each host, and the file is read from top to bottom. As soon as a match is found for a host name, the file stops being read. For that reason, when there are duplicate entries, the latter ones are always ignored, and the most commonly used names should be near the top of the file.