Thread: Networking on a Laptop w/ Vista

Networking on a Laptop w/ Vista

I just bought myself my first laptop computer today - A Toshiba Satellite A205-S5825. At my home we have DSL with a wireless router - a 2Wire (2Wire 2701HG-B) router. We've got three desktop computers hooked up to it (two WinXP, one WinME), and I've set up my Nintendo DS to work with the wireless, so I know that works.

Well, I got my laptop all set up and tried to connect it to the wireless network. It picks up the signal just fine, it's strong, and there's only the ONE signal, so I know it's mine, but then it just goes and says "Windows cannot connect to 2WIRE015".

When I have it diagnose the problem, it says,

The wireless authentication settings on this computer do not match the requirements of this network.

->View the wireless security settings on this computer to verify they are compatible with this network.
    If you set up or own this network, you might be able to fix the problem by changing the settings on the wireless router or access point to be compatible with the settings on this computer. Contact the network administrator for "2WIRE025" or your hardware manufacturer for further assistance.
    And there I'm stuck. I tried checking the wireless settings on the Home Network, but I can't see any reason why it would refuse the laptop. From what I can tell from the manual, the laptop SHOULD work in Channels 1-11 (mine's on 1) and in mode 802.11b/g (mine's 802.11b). Of course that's about as far as my knowledge extends concerning the wireless settings, so I could very well be missing something.

So next is what? The Network and Sharing Center. Of course I can't Connect to a network, which also means I can't manage or set up a connection. Diagnose and Repair is no help. In the main section under "Sharing and Discovery" Network Discovery and File Sharing are turned OFF and they won't let me turn them on (and yes, I'm logged on the administrator account). Maybe I can't turn them until it can pick up the network? I dunno.

The wireless adapter is: Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter, and it is working properly, so says the system. (I uninstalled it and reinstalled it)

*EDIT* When I DO bring up the connection window that shows the network signal, when I right click on my network, it only gives the options "connect" and "diagnose". Nothing concerning properties or anything.

I just don't get it... there must be SOME SETTING, SOME WHERE that'll set things straight, but I haven't the slightest notion of where it is. I certainly have NO clue where to find the wireless security settings. I tried calling Toshiba tech support and the guy I talked to was no help and really had no interest in helping me fix the problem. I just want my laptop to be social...

Any assistance would be super awesome. I just don't know if it's me, or if there's actually something wrong with the computer itself.

Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by Jammer Lea; 28-04-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Nevermind. I called my ISP and they fixed it. Sorry.

Re: Networking on a Laptop w/ Vista

I have exactly the same problem. Can anyone help? I am using a wireless access point which does not have anything to do with my ISP, so asking them is not much help.

Can you provide us more information about your problem? What exactly happening in your case? What is your laptop & how you are connected to network?

Very few information about your setup. We need some more details of your setup (like how are the two computers connected, with which router/access point). Also some information like what have you already tried but failed or got stuck, got any error, etc. What operating systems are you having on each computer.

sad Re: Networking on a Laptop w/ Vista

Unfortunately I can't give much information. The laptop computer with the problem belongs to my daughter, who has now gone abroad with it, so I can't check details from it. However it was running Windows Vista home. We were trying to connect to an 802.11b 11Mbps wireless network run by an unbranded pretty basic wireless access point. It is set to broadcast its ESSID, and use channel 11. It is using shared key authentication. I can't think of anything else about the access point that might be relevant. I can't see any reason why any other part of the set up should be relevant, since the wireless network exists only between the laptop and the access point, but in case I am wrong the AP is connected by wired ethernet to a Netgear DG834 router, which is also connected via ADSL to our ISP. At the time when we had a problem the only other item connected to the wired ethernet network was a PC running Windows XP home, and nothing else was connected to the WLAN. However, another laptop running Vista home is regularly used on this wireless LAN with no problems. Also the "problem" laptop has been used on several other wireless LANs with no problem. Of course a step-by-step account of exactly what we tried and what the results were would be helpful, but unfortunately I made the mistake of leaving the problem for a few days, and can't remember. Nor can I try again, as the laptop in question is not available, as I have already explained. We eventually gave up and connected the laptop by wired ethernet, which was less convenient, but worked.

I am aware that this is not really enough information, but at the moment it is the best I can offer. I am not expecting my daughter back for several weeks; when she does return perhaps we will try again, and if so I will post further information. In the meanwhile if anyone has anything to suggest I will be grateful, but I will not be at all surprised if no one has.