Thread: Window Server 2008 Remote access help please

Window Server 2008 Remote access help please

I have read and read a lot of web pages trying to figure out how to set up my remote access with window 2008. I have ran into brick wall. This is for my home business and I really need this up and running. Please help me. I hired a someone to help me with my business and promised him he can work right out of his home and this is killing me, due to he does not live any where near me and he needs to have access to my server to do his job.

Ok.. First I have set up server computer, which is connected behind router. then I have 3 computers on local network. I also have 2 laptops that needs to connect with Remote access. I have no problem with my local network. I can access my server computer through remote access with no problem. My issue is trying to get my laptop to connect when I am not home. I even bought terminal services license CAP to allow 5 client computer to access my server, because they told me I had to have it. Mind you.. it was not cheap.

I think the issue is creating a domain. Do I need to buy a web address to allow my computer to connect to my server comp via internet? I can't seem to click on domain option on set up. it only allow me to choose local. Please help!!!! every info I found assumes I have a domain already and It not helpful. if you have step by step links that would be really helpful.

Re: Window Server 2008 Remote access help please

Have you tried the tips given for Configuring Windows Server 2008 as a Remote Access SSL VPN Server from here.

Re: Window Server 2008 Remote access help please

Your private network probably uses private Internet Protocol addresses, which does not allow outside users to connect directly to their desktop computers from the Internet. It also has seemed many times that users are not offered virtual private network connection, this is because many firewalls block VPNs.

Please check whether your have same setup, and this is because to eliminate this problem Windows Server 2008 introduces the Terminal Service (TS) Gateway role, which acts will act as proxy server between the Internet and your internal network.

I would suggest, first solve your domain name problem and then go for Network solution, and if you have problem let me know.