Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 18-02-2009

Unable to access Network shares over VPN

Hi,

with out wasting any time i will straight away come to my problem, My problem is that there are certain port system keeps to get connected to the Internet or other devices, so in my case there is open port 139 and NetBIOS on the server to map a server share through a VPN connection but i am not able to access Network shares over VPN.

please help
Old 18-02-2009

Re: Unable to access Network shares over VPN

You just try to manually configure the DNS suffix for the TCP/IPv4 address in the VPN connection. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start,right-click Network, and then click Properties.
  2. Click Manage network connections.
  3. Right-click the VPN connection that you want to configure, and then click Properties.
  4. If you are prompted to confirm that you want to continue, click Continue.
  5. In This connection uses the following items box on the Networking tab, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
  6. Click Advanced, and then click the DNS tab.
  7. Specify the DNS suffix for the connection, and then click OK three times.
Old 18-02-2009

I logged it with our MS TSC, and he came up with this new kb article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=929853

I found I had to disable IPv6 for the vpn, add the destinations dns suffix as detailed in the kb article to the DNS advanced tab of the vpn connection.

Then I could map a drive to \\machine.doman.local\c$ (for example). It only seems to work using the FQDN. I have only tried this on a VPN back to the office (a domain my pc is a member of).
Old 18-02-2009

Folks,
Windows Vista has a bug wherein it is not possible to access shares on a machine from a Vista machine if NetBT is disabled on the Vista box or port 139 is blocked. The issue is fixed in SP1 Beta. The fix is also available from Microsoft support. You can just call them and ask them for the fix. The KB number associated with the fix is 933468. The title of the problem is I have seen many posts on this news group regarding share access failures from Windows Vista over VPN. Please install this fix. Your problem will be resolved.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , ,