Thread: Detecting New Mails on Exchange Server

Detecting New Mails on Exchange Server

Hello everyone,

I develop software for archiving, and to do this automatically, I do detect a new mail is present on the SMTP server. Could you tell me what are the solutions that relate to me? The only thing that I thought, is to continuously listen on port 25 (I can retrieve messages and outgoing) and after the deal. But is that really possible?

Thank you if you can help me.

Re: Detecting New Mails on Exchange Server

Hello ,
    I think for this kind of tinkering, it is necessary that you are using the Exchange MAPI API as do the real archiving software, or antivirus eg.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
    Hello ,
    I think for this kind of tinkering, it is necessary that you are using the Exchange MAPI API as do the real archiving software, or antivirus eg.
    Thank you for your answer, but I did not find this kind of example or whatever API for Exchange. A little help from you would not be denied, since you seem to have an idea of the thing. Then this, once that is done, I can implement it on my Exchange server?

Thank you

What you can do "easily", ie without the exchange is with a relay SMTP servers that you exchange between your seat and your Internet gateway. This relay SMTP archive everything he sees through, but not internal mail For interfaces Exchange, sorryOtherwise, something that you can floor it is the logging exchange. You can if you want to create a special dance in which exchange will place a copy of all exchanges of mails that pass through it. Thus, your software would only need to inspect the box to make the filing. The fact that you really want to check the flow of messages or content of BALS

In a first time I really want to archive all emails, including spam, personal letters, business letters, everything (whether incoming or outgoing mail )....

Actually I like your second solution is to create a new BAL and save a copy of all messages within this one (you can really save all messages sent and received?)

How this solution? What is it's just an option to set the Exchange server?

and after the some setting with my soft (using MAPI or CDO or any other technology in the genre, therefore I could access all the mails that are present?)

Thank you for addressing my problem ...

The logging function is in the properties for each database in your Exchange server.Here the administrator will receive a copy of all messages exchanged. This box will quickly become enormous. What do you want is over the logging of input / output or the archiving (moving messages on cheaper storage)?

I want to make the archiving and not logging, but I think it is possible to benefit from this logging. I only have to log all messages and that I periodically scans the folder for storing mail and delete as I've moved to another storage medium. The problem is that I can not afford to retrieve all messages from BAL, since I do pay attention to the duplication of messages (if a mail is sent to several people ( 'To' with multiple recipients )) and I can store only one instance of mail. It is this point where I really have to be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron1 View Post
    I want to make the archiving and not logging, but I think it is possible to benefit from this logging. I only have to log all messages and that I periodically scans the folder for storing mail and delete as I've moved to another storage medium. The problem is that I can not afford to retrieve all messages from BAL, since I do pay attention to the duplication of messages (if a mail is sent to several people ( 'To' with multiple recipients )) and I can store only one instance of mail. It is this point where I really have to be careful.
    In this case, there will be duplicates because the mails are not moved to a secondary, but they will be copied (one in the ball of the user a one ball in the newspaper)

This is not a problem I think, in a first time all messages are copied in the BAL as Annex I told you, and then with my program I come attacking this folder on the archive media and each school will be archived mail then removed from the BAL Annex. I believe that Microsoft technologies (such as MAPI and all) it should be possible. Well thank you for your help it helped me and many other for my work. Thank you very much my Problem is addressed