Thread: Is Somebody Hacking My Wireless??

sad Is Somebody Hacking My Wireless??

Hey! Guys please help me! i have a linksys wireless router at my place. my internet connection is working damn slow lately...! when i typed in my routers IP address to check the configuration, in the Active DHCP client section, i see seven IP addresses! though i use only my laptop to connect to the wireless router as my broadband is connected to its wan port and i connect to the internet via wi-fi! when i ping any of those ip address, i get a response and after a minute or so the ip address vanishes from active DHCP client and i loose connectivity. but soon the DHCP shows the same thing! I guess these different IP address is being used by some people around! please help guys! i'm screwed!

Re: Is Somebody Hacking My Wireless??

Do you have WPA or WEP enabled? If not, then someone is possibly war driving you, in which case you need to enable security immediately. Use WPA as WEP has been cracked.

What is War Driving??

-> Wardriving is the act of searching for Wi-Fi wireless networks by a person in a moving vehicle using a Wi-Fi-equipped computer, such as a laptop or a PDA, to detect the networks. It was also known (as of 2002) as "WiLDing" (Wireless Lan Driving, although this term never gained any popularity and is no longer used), originating in the San Francisco Bay Area with the Bay Area Wireless Users Group (BAWUG). It is similar to using a scanner for radio.

Wireless access point receivers can be modified to extend their ability for picking up and connecting to wireless access points. This can be done with an ordinary metal wire, and a metal dish that is used to form a directional antenna. Other similar devices can be modified in this way too, likewise, not only directional antennas can be created, but USB-WiFi-stick antennas can be used as well. Tools such as Wireless Grapher-widget can be used to measure out the antenna.

Re: Is Somebody Hacking My Wireless??

Hi, WPA isn't an option on this model. i first thought using bit torrent might open several connection, but somebody is realy hacking my network. I can see the HACKER's MAC address in the DHCP active client window. i've now turned off my wireless network of the router and use the cable to connect my laptop! Thanks a lot!