Thread: What ports should I open and how

What ports should I open and how

Hey all.
    I have at last found a "virtual server" on my router, but how do I open ports? The gates using BitTorrent too? In wonder where I can see it now?

Re: What ports should I open and how

The normal BT port range is 6881-6889, but you should change this to something else in your BT client (and how to do this depends of course on what you use). The new port numbers you must enter into both the "public" and "private".

If you are using Azureus should only be used for one port, but most other BT clients use multiple. The TCP ports.

"Private IP is the address of the PC, your BT client is running on. Do you have only one PC connected to be likely only be 2 (the router itself - ie. Gateway address - are probably 1).

Quote Originally Posted by Milton.J View Post
    Do you have only one PC connected to be likely only be 2 (the router itself - ie. Gateway address - are probably 1).
    I have 3 computers connected to my router.

Allrighty.... it's smartest enough that you will ensure that BT give your machine a static IP. If the PCs are set to even retrieve an IP from the router's DHCP at boot, you can never be entirely sure what address that machine has. It depends on the order you turn them in. In fact I would suggest you to put them all up with static IP, because you have full control of proceedings, and at some point you may need to forward other ports to one of machines.

On my router is a WAN port (direct internet connection) and then some plugs numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Then set the PC that I should download from the port number 1. So, it must be numbered 2 ... that should open it.

Forgive if I am wrong here, but it works just as if you misunderstand the term "port" a little. A logical port on your PC has no correlation with the physical network connector that is in your router.

A "port" in this context is a kind of sub-addresses of certain services into the PC. Eg. a web server located on port 80, an FTP server will be on port 21 and a bittorrent client will be on port 6881. There are a total of 65,536 possible ports and as many sockets there are not many routers that have

For example. forwarder port 6881 for the PC that has local IP 192.168.2.2, it has no importance which of the 4 LAN style you set it to. Just because it has a local IP that ends in figure 2 does not mean that you necessarily need to put in plugs nr.2.