Thread: is it possible to combine 2 internet connection in 1 pc to increase download speed

is it possible to combine 2 internet connection in 1 pc to increase download speed

Hi everyone
    Iam having a pc running windows xp with 2 lan cards and 2 different companies Internet connections 512kbps each .
    Is it possible to combine both the Internet connection so that i can pull downloads from both the connection simultaneously and increase my download speeds. Is there is any software or tweak to do this process.
    thanks in advance .

Re: is it possible to combine 2 internet connection in 1 pc to increase download speed

If you are using PPP for instance with ISDN or 56k Dialup and you dial to the same provider multiple times and this provider supports multilink PPP... then yes, it might work. But you need good knowledge of networking and PPP, and probably a good technical peer to talk to at the ISP you are using. Like this, you can increase the speed - usually at the double of the dialup cost, of course.

If you are talking about multiple different ISPs: no, you can't increase speed for a single connection.

The problem is that the ISPs are going to give you different external IPs to use and for a single connection, you can't have some packets use ISP A and IP source address A, while some other packets of the same connection use ISP B and the IP address you got from ISP B.

However something like this might be feasible:

It may be possible to have one Ubuntu Router connected to two different ISPs. It does not matter which technology they use, just as long as the router can obtain an IP address from the provider; be that Dialup or ISDN iwth PPP, GRPS, UMTS with or without HSDPA, xDSL or cable, even some public WLAN. But I think that for satisfactory results, both connections should have similar bandwiths.

You then need some clever routing and NAT configuration that knows how to make an individual connection "stick" to one of the external interfaces. This will not increase the speed of a single connection, but by distributing all connections to the (two, maybe more?) external interfaces, the total capacity increases. I cannot tell for sure if iptables can actually do this - but from a dark corner of my memory, I think I've read about it somewhere. If I find it again, I'll post it here.

Re: is it possible to combine 2 internet connection in 1 pc to increase download speed

The best you could hope for would be an average increase that would theoretically approximate the total available bandwidth, but only where the protocols you use are capable of spreading their activity over multiple simultaneous connections.

For instance, a web page can be but isn't necessarily always loaded over several simultaneously established HTTP connections between you and the remote host. What netztier has in mind might be the possibility of configuring a gateway perhaps a HTTP proxy to bind each of them randomly to different network interfaces. Specific to the case of HTTP though, it would be difficult to anticipate what impact sudden, unexplained changes in your apparent external IP address would have on services that like/need to know it. In any case, this approach feels very like load balancing to me, so I'm sure it can be done with relative ease, assuming you have a thorough understanding of network communications protocols.

Naturally, not all protocols would benefit from such an arrangement in the way HTTP can, because of the simple fact that a connection between any more or less than two points doesn't make sense. The best you could hope for would, as I mentioned, be an average increase. In those terms, applications that failed to establish more than one network connection, individual network connections that remained established for any more than about a second, or failed to use 100% of the bandwidth available to them, would cause the increase to tend towards the individual bandwidth of your slowest internet connection.

Another way of looking at your question is to think of your internet connections as though they were CPUs.
    Multiprocessor machines are essentially capable of handling two distinct processes at the same time.
    You cannot share one process between more than one CPU.
    If you are only performing one process, and it is using 100% of the CPU controlling it, there is effectively no point in having a second processor at all.
    If you are performing more than one process, but are not using all of the available CPU time, there is very often still no point in having a second processor.You could however consider designating one of your internet connections an "RTSP" connection, and the other a "HTTP" connection. Neither RTSP nor HTTP would go any faster, but neither would impact the bandwidth available to the other either. Essentially, you would be guaranteeing your ability to surf the web freely, without causing streaming media to stutter or freeze ... but each would operate (in speed terms) as though it was the sole user of a single internet connection.

tHANKS FOR THE INFO BUDDY .BUT I THINK IT IS POSSIBLE IN LINUX I HEARD SOMTHING ABT LOAD BALANCING.

I Just Want To Increase Speed In Torrent Download Only

Hi,

I am not sure about the combining 2 Internet connection to increase the internet download speed but I can provide some Forum discussion where you could have the idea about how to optimize the existing internet speed.
    Hope this may turn around your mind from having two internet connection because only to get the good downloading speed you may have to carry unnecessary headache of Different ISP.

Hope this helps you.

How can i increase my download speed

In order to increase your download speed, try to clear your temp internet files and cache. Also try to turn off all firewalls and virus protection that are running on your computer.

How to increase the Bandwidth of Internet

Increase bandwidth for VPN users

Here you will get how to increase the Torrent download speed and this works..

How to increase the speed of Torrent Download?

ya ur right buddy but 1 connection i have keep always for standby if one fails i can use the other one

can combining speeds with two cable modems work with the same dl ul sppeds be possible? aka 16mb dl on two cable modems and make it to be 32mb dl? i know this is possible with t1(1.5mb) and having two of them combined to create a bandwidth of 3mb