Thread: Dell precision T3400 broadcom netXtreme 57xx gigabit Controller stops working

Dell precision T3400 broadcom netXtreme 57xx gigabit Controller stops working

Dell precision T3400 broadcom netXtreme 57xx gigabit Controller (NIC disconnects network connection)
    19 Jan 2009 07:07PM
    UPDATE AS OF 2009-01-22 (1/22/2009)

Searched high and low on the DELL website and as it turns out. This problem occured about 3 years ago on a similar model computer from DELL. They eventually created a patch for the bios (which corrected the NIC falling asleep on that computer).

Another article suggested getting a pci nic and plugging it in (also to disable the onboard broadcom nic)

So I took a un-used 10/100/1000 NIC we had (that I knew worked in a computer about 4 years ago) and placed the network card in the spare pci slot. It has now ran for 12 hours with out a single hickup. I actually did this on 2 out of the 4 boxes we are having problems with. So far so good. BUT I REALLY HOPE DELL COMES OUT WITH A BIOS UPDATE or have BROADCOM deliver a driver that does not become dormant.

When I get to the office tomorrow, I am going to look again to see if their is a sleep option I am missing? I thought I checked but I will see.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

post af of 2009-01-19 (1/19/2009)

Problem: We purchased 4 DELL precision t3400 desktop computers on 10/15/2008. We placed all of them online around 1/1/2009. These four desktops now have problems with the NIC staying connected to the network. In other words, the computers just all of the sudden disconnects from the network with out any notice (not at the same time..random). All four computers are having the problem. Each computer came equipped with Windows Vista SP1 installed and we ran each computer through the same setup process via WDS.

To note: we replaced older desktop computers with these new computers and that is when we started having these ( new T3400 desktop ) network disconnect problems. In other words, the old computers never had this problem.

Other things we verified and tried:

1>We tried other computers and used the same ethernet rj45 jack. Those "older" computers continued to work as they did before with out any problems. So the network cable, switches and routers are not the problem. It is something on these new computers.

2>Tried different drivers (see below)

3>Tried enabling and disabling IPv6.

Summary of drivers I used:

In computer manager it says the card is a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx gigabit controller

a> By default is comes installed with the driver date/version: 8/1/2006 10.10.0.1 (PROBLEM OCCURS)

b> Upgraded the driver to date/version: 6/10/2007 10.43.0.0 (PROBLEM OCCURS)

c> Called DELL to ask them what the chipset was on the Broadcom NIC (they stated 5754) which is listed as a Broadcom Ethernet NIC NetXtreme Desktop Driver. To note: Broadcom lists the drivers by Chipsets. So I download the Vista 32 bit driver and updated the driver. Once updated it stated it as version 11.7.3 (11/3/2008)..even though the web site page for the download suggested a date of 12/24/08.

Anyhow, no matter what I try, I keep getting the same result on these T3400 computers. The result "network automatically disconnects itself". To note: all of the same software, etc was installed on the "older computers" too.

PLEASE HELP...

Thanks, Doug Lubey of Louisiana

Re: Dell precision T3400 broadcom netXtreme 57xx gigabit Controller stops working

May be the motherboard and LAN architecture are not designed properly. the basic concept of any onboard device is that, it uses bus arbitration. it is the technique to use the system bus as per the interrupt so as to avoid collisions if any as system bus is shared by all the devices connected to a computer system. this is a clear hardware issue. the dell motherboard's architecture is somewhere not supporting LAN architecture. the best solution is to use PCI ethernet adapter untill dell improvers the motherboard architecture!

Re: Dell precision T3400 broadcom netXtreme 57xx gigabit Controller stops working

Same issue here with a Dell Latitude D620 and a Broadcom 57xx NIC. When transferring files it lost packets and corrupted the files, the larger the files, the likelier it was that the connection was disrupted.

I've been basically through the same tests and trials to fix it which you described above.

I suggest you check your Windows Event Log and if you spot error ID 50 with source "MRxSmb" then the automatic speed/duplex mode handshake of the NIC seems to be the problem.

Set it from "auto" to "100Mb/Full" (or half, depending on your network setup). Not an ideal solution but the only I could find and at least the NIC doesn't loose packets anymore.

Try this one:

• Choose Drivers and downloads
    • Choose Desktop
    • Choose Precision
    • Choose T3400
    • Confirm

Then

Change the OS selection to XP Professional & wait for the screen to update

Below Chipset-1

there is one Intel chipset driver, you will need to run this file, let it expand on the target system & let it install Save it only on the separate computer so you can copy it to the target computer & then run and install

Below Network-3

There is Broadcom – Driver Applies to: 57xx Gigabit Integrated Controller you will need to run this file, let it expand on the target system & let it install Save it only on the separate computer so you can copy it to the target computer & then run and install

Below Audio-2

There is Analog Devices – Driver Applies to ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio you will need to run this file, let it expand on the target system & let it install Save it only on the separate computer so you can copy it to the target computer & then run and install

Finally load the drivers for your video card................

i hope this may solve your problem.............

I have been having this exact same issue on-site in one of my AT&T call centers. We use the optiplex 740 machines with the same 57xx Gigabit controlled.

We have replaced hardware, checked PoE amp/voltage over lines, re-imaged machines, check network connections, DHCP renews, DNS servers, etc...

I am currently on the phone with a dell rep and he is suggesting a BIOS update for our systems. Hopefully this will work, this issue has been hounding our center for a long time.

Update to our system as of today.
    Dell shipped us a new system WEDNESDAY last week. We installed it and placed it online....SAME ISSUES with the NIC as before. So we disabled it again and put the EXTERNAL PCI NIC back into it and disabled the onboard one. It now has ran perfectly since. But a recieved an email from someone else that a new BIOS update came out recently. So we are going to give the BIOS update a shot..(again). If that does not work, I will go back with the EXTERNAL PCI NIC...and be done with the terrible beast of a problem.