Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Network Windows 7 with Windows XP

Re: Cannot Network Windows 7 with Windows XP

Ok, I think I may have found the answer to some peoples issues.

On the Win7 sharing machine:

Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre

Click on Change advanced sharing settings

Select the Home/Work Dropdown

Under the Password protected sharing option, select the Turn off password protected sharing box

Select Save changes.

Chances are you've already done the sharing side, but if you haven't, read
    HTML Code:
    http://forums.techarena.in/networking-security/1105626-2.htm#post4820399
    curtiousy of Zawy. This problem bugged me for months trying to get a printer to share, and I've checked it gets you access on 7, Vista AND XP.

Good luck guys and girls!

Hi,
    win7 and win XP is connect via rouret,
    I have problem with Win7, when I want explore shared folder on win xp comp, win 7 is ask for password.
    How I can remove that on win 7 ?

Even i face the same issue with my Windows 7 Ultima 32 bit. In order to make it accessible i need to give it full access by right clicking the file > Properties. Than going to Sharing Tab > Advance Sharing, there is a check box on the top named 'Share this folder', mark it and click on Permissions than click on Full access. Now the file is accessible but the user can even delete or modify the files and folders as he has the full access of the folder.

Thenks for help, I try that but not work, then I delete win XP SP3 and install XP SP2 and work great.

It is nice to have the wireless card for Freebox. But it takes a second on the Mac to start and configure. Before that I was too trying to setup the network on Windows XP SP3. But the same does not work properly. Anyhow Network connection wizard works but shows slow connection. And Windows XP SP2 is the most stable version I saw ever.

Hi ZAWY, it seems critical as you have explained in Part 3: Networking with XP that the group is set to work and not home, which I have changed in Win 7 but how and where do you change this in the XP machine

Quote Originally Posted by Starman202 View Post
    Hi ZAWY, it seems critical as you have explained in Part 3: Networking with XP that the group is set to work and not home, which I have changed in Win 7 but how and where do you change this in the XP machine
    Actually, the homegroup only works with Windows 7 computers and will not talk to your XP computer. If so, you will need to change the networking system to one that XP can use. On your Windows 7 computer, click the Start button at the bottom left of the screen, then go to the Control Panel and choose Network and Sharing Center. Click the link under "view your active networks" (if you've set up a Homegroup,the link should say "home network"). In the next window choose "Work network" that will switch you from a homegroup to a workgroup so your two computers can talk to each other. Before you can network the computers, you must assign the same workgroup name to both of them and SHARE folders in Explorer.

Hi there, I had EXACTLY the same problem - trying to connect a Win7 machine to a WinXP predominantly network. WinXP machines could see the Win7 but access nothing, and the Win7 machine could not even see the WinXP machines. After doing everything that everyone here in the Forum did, I still couldn't see anything THEN I checked my TCP/IP settings again, and what do you know? My subnet mask setting was wrong, it should have been 255.255.255.0 but it was 255.0.0.0 - I don't know if this will help some of your, but it worked for me!

If you want ot access Windows 7 machine's shared folders you will have to configure the network and disable the password protection from the home network or office whichever you use

hey hey guys please help me iv got two windows 7 pcs on the homegroup and they are working fine but on my third pc with xp im able to see the shared files but unable to access the files it sais i do not have access and permission please help me thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Scarfacewes View Post
    hey hey guys please help me iv got two windows 7 pcs on the homegroup and they are working fine but on my third pc with xp im able to see the shared files but unable to access the files it sais i do not have access and permission please help me thanks guys
    That is really the annoying error while sharing files from Windows 7 to Windows XP. Try these steps to fix this problem. Whenever you share any file or folder from windows 7, first right click, go to properties, than click on Sharing TAB, and in this window, allow full permission. The only problem here is that, the user on XP can even delete or edit your file.

Or simply checkout this thread containing step by step process of doing the same :
    Network Windows 7 with Xp and Vista
    How to share files from Win XP to Windows 7
    Sharing folders in Windows 7

hey dude thanx hey

Quote Originally Posted by maq.h View Post
    That is really the annoying error while sharing files from Windows 7 to Windows XP. Try these steps to fix this problem. Whenever you share any file or folder from windows 7, first right click, go to properties, than click on Sharing TAB, and in this window, allow full permission. The only problem here is that, the user on XP can even delete or edit your file.

Or simply checkout this thread containing step by step process of doing the same :
    Network Windows 7 with Xp and Vista
    How to share files from Win XP to Windows 7
    Sharing folders in Windows 7
    hey sorry about this but ive tryed everything but xp cannot open the files of my windows 7 pcs i am also running it wirelesly

Quote Originally Posted by Scarfacewes View Post
    hey sorry about this but ive tryed everything but xp cannot open the files of my windows 7 pcs i am also running it wirelesly
    i had the same problem i went here its step by step an it work

Here's what finally got my Windows 7 machine to see my workgroup XP box over a wireless home network.
    An earlier poster mentioned that he could see his XP if he entered its IP address, instead of its name. So I tried entering the relevant IP address of the XP machine into the search box of the Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center, but this yielded nothing, so instead I entered it (the IP address of the XP machine) into the search box on the Windows 7 desktop (immediately above the start button) and sure enough, there were all the XP's folders.
    This indicated a DNS problem, so I went into my XP machine, looked at the TCP/IP properties of its wireless adapter, and found that it was set to "Obtain an IP address automatically", and also to "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
    By changing the latter to "Use the following DNS server addresses" and entering the IP address of my router, everything came right at last.
    I was finally able to return to the Windows 7 machine, go into Network and Sharing Center, and after a minute or so, there was the missing XP machine.
    Hope this might be of use to some others who, like me, have been struggling with this wretched problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast