Thread: Network is causing Excel files to become corrupt

Network is causing Excel files to become corrupt

I have several files that I normally keep in a folder on my network so they can be shared with other users. We have been sharing the same files for a couple of years, recently however, those files when openned in Excel from the network location are now corrupt. Excel tries to repair them but returns an error message that the files are to badly corrupt and it can not repair them. Yet, if I move the same files to my desktop, or any other desktop, and open the files from the local desktop in Excel, the files work perfectly. The files that are corrputing were originated by different people at different times. Some have macros and other have pivot tables, but they all experience the same anomoly. Other files created and or saved in that same directory work fine. Regardless where this group is saved on the network, on this server or anyother company servers, always causes the files to become corrupt. We are using Excel 2003 with Windows XP SP2 and Server 2003. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Network is causing Excel files to become corrupt

Hello,

The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location or, server the document is stored on may be not responding.

i guess you need to upgrade your network! cables might be damaged, or some infection might be spread on all of the network.
    If there's no problem try this! try renaming you file completely [with extensions, in case of excel, it is ".xls" without quotes]

hi
    i am suggesting is may not perfect for you but check the possibility for your server ; i think the administrator of the machine might be able to create the Excel file correctly, but user IDs in the USER group cannot create the file correctly. An Excel file that is created by a user ID in the USER group will be smaller than the correct Excel file.

The problem occurs when disk quotas are placed on the the user ID, particularly on the Windows system drive. This quota prevents the Microsoft Joint Engine Technology (JET) components from getting enough temporary space to create the files that are needed.

To resolve the problem, increase the quota for the user ID on the Windows system drive.