Thread: Windows Vista Internet Connection Problem

Windows Vista Internet Connection Problem

I have just now installed Windows Vista on a different partition and the other contains Windows XP SP2. When I boot into Vista, it all runs fine and everything works well untill i try to connect to the internet. My ISP is someone, and I am using one of there HPNA internal PCI cards. In XP I am able to set up a connection and use this NIC but in Vista, when I try to set up a connection, the only option I am given is one that requires a Username and Password to connect to my ISP. Well, SBC Yahoo does not require a username/password to connect. On the XP partition I am using Opera, and I have IE installed as well, and have been able to connect to the internet for over 4 years now. So there is nothing wrong with the physical connection itself, since i can switch over to xp and go online with no problems. Anyone have any ideas on how to setup an internet connection in Vista, that does not require a username/password?

Re: Windows Vista Internet Connection Problem

How to Troubleshoot network connection problems in Vista
    Troubleshooting connection problems can be a challenge because there are so many possible causes. First, try these steps:

• Open Network Diagnostics by right-clicking the network icon in the notification area, and then clicking Diagnose and repair.

• Make sure that all wires are connected (for example, make sure your modem is connected to a working phone jack or cable connection, either directly or through a router).

• If you're trying to connect to another computer, make sure that computer is on and that you have enabled file and printer sharing on your network. For more information, see Networking home computers running different versions of Windows.

• If the problem began after you installed new software, check your connection settings to see if they have been changed.

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2. Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• Check your router. Because of the new networking features in Windows Vista, some older network routers are not fully compatible with Windows Vista and can cause problems. You can test your router to see whether it is fully compatible with Windows Vista by running the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool. Or, for a list of routers that are compatible with Windows Vista, go to the Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List website.

Windows Vista won't connect to the network - how to fix the problem by making Vista less aggressive on the network

Windows Vista automatically tunes it's network settings to make the most of the available bandwidth. In some scenarios Windows Vista can fail to connect to the network - this is often due to old routers which don't always quite follow the standards to the letter. There is an excellent white paper titled Windows Vista TCP/IP Networking and IPv6 Migration that explains in quite some detail how Windows Vista tunes it's performance - it's well worth a read. The white paper explains the rationale behind the default settings and the implication of making changes.

If you find yourself in a situation whereby you are unable to access a network then it's worth trying the following from a command line that's running with elevated privilege.

Note: An easy way to run an elevated command line is to create a shortcut to "cmd.exe", right click on the shortcut (whilst logged in as an administrator) and select "Run as administrator".

To view the current TCP optimisation settings issue the following command:

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface tcp show global

You should receive output similar to the following:

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters

----------------------------------------------

Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled

Chimney Offload State : enabled

Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal

Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none

ECN Capability : disabled

RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled

To disable the settings issue the following command:

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled autotuninglevel=disabled

Assuming you've typed everything correctly then you'll receive the following output:

Ok.

Now try to connect to the network once again - you may need to "repair" your connection or simply unplug the network cable and re-insert it if it's wired - for wireless just disconnect and reconnect to the network

To set your network stack back to normal once you've finished issue the following command:

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface tcp set global rss=enabled autotuninglevel=normal

Note that the "autotuninglevel" is set to "normal" not "enabled" as you might expect!

Source: blogs.technet.com

I just got a new laptop today and i had exact same problem.
    After reading reviews on various sites, all i did was
    1) Shut down the computer
    2) Unplug the router
    3) Plug back router
    4) Boot up laptop back

I am now connected with no problems so far. will keep you posted. Still few hours only.