Thread: Cannot Renew IP Address

Cannot Renew IP Address

Please help, my desktop can not access the internet and i am not able to renew the ip address.

When trying to ‘repair’ connection it repair window stops on “renewing your IP address”.

However connection status was still “acquiring network address”.

When status returned to “Limited or no connectivity” I tried ipconfig /release.

but still i am not able to do it.

Re: cannot renew ip address

You can set your computer to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server automatically by going to Start, Control Panel, Network Connections. Right-click on the Local Area Connection and choose Properties.

On the General tab, scroll down in the list box till you see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and highlight it. Then click on Properties.

Now make sure that both Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected.

Now try to renew your IP address and see if you can connect to the Internet or network. If this does not work, you have to make sure there is not some kind of software on your computer that could be blocking all the ports on your computer.

Disable any firewall software and remove or disable programs like Zone Alarm and Norton Internet Security as they can get in the way sometimes.

Finally, the problem of not being able to renew your IP address could be because of the network interface card (NIC) itself. It could be with the drivers, so download the latest drivers and update them.

You can also test out whether it is a problem with your network card by connecting the computer to another device such as a cable modem or another router and seeing if it can connect to the Internet. If so, it could be a problem with the router assigning IP addresses and it would be easiest to reset the router.

Have you checked your Windows Firewall status. If not check the Firewall and see the status.
    Disabling the firewall will be best option.
    Now try Releasing and Renewing IP. It should work.

Well, if you can ping the rest of the internal network when you assign yourself 192.168.1.4, then more than likely your router is 192.168.1.1. I would see if I could ping 192.168.1.1, if you can, ping google.com, if you can do that, then you should be fine to brows the internet. If that doesn't work, ping 216.239.57.99, if that works, then you are just having a DNS issue, set your IP as this:

IP - 192.168.1.4
    SM - 255.255.255.0
    DG - 192.168.1.1
    DNS - 192.168.1.1

Then try to access something.