Thread: Remote Access and Windows Vista

Remote Access and Windows Vista

I'm a very big user of remote access software. And I use logmein, which I have found to be an excellent program, but I know that there are a lot of people out there who use a lot of other programs as well. For example, though I don't use it myself I know that XP Pro comes with Remote Desktop.

But the future is upon us, and I'm interested as to what it may hold. Two questions

1) does anyone know if Logmein (any version thereof) works with Vista?
    2) if or if not, what kind of options might be built into Vista? Remote

Thank you

Re: Remote Access and Windows Vista

Windows Vista Remote access
    Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 enable you to enjoy remote access to your corporate network whenever you need it—with heightened security and without a virtual private network (VPN) connection.

If you travel as part of your job or divide your work time between home and the office, you need more secure and dependable remote access to your corporate network, at any time and from any place. The Windows Vista client, teamed with the upcoming new version of Windows Server 2008, offers a better solution that simplifies remote access and helps ensure a higher level of security—without requiring a VPN connection.

Whether you are a mobile user working from the road or a remote user working on a home computer, Windows Vista makes it quick and easy for you to access your corporate network whenever you need it.

For more information go here.

Enable Remote Desktop via Windows Vista Graphical User Interface (GUI)
    1. Click on Start button, then open Control Panel to select the System applet. Alternatively, right click on Computer icon and select Properties on right click contextual menu.
    2. Click on the Remote Settings link in the left-hand task pane.
    3. You will see System Properties window with Remote tab selected.
    4. Select the radio button of either “Allow connections from computer running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)” or “Allow connections only from computer running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (more secure)”. If you’re using a Windows Vista RD clients to initiate the Remote Desktop session, you can safely select the later option. If you’re using non-Vista OS such as Win XP or Win2K, not sure or not understand, select the first option. See below note for more details.
    5. Next, click on the Select Users button. You need to choose all non-administrative users that you intend to grant remote logon rights for them to remotely access or control this computer.
    6. In the Select Users dialog, click on the Add button.
    7. Type the name of the user you want to grant Remote Desktop access rights to, and then click OK.
    8. Repeat above 2 steps to add more users.
    9. Click on OK twice to save the settings.

Turn on Windows Vista Remote Desktop via Group Policy
    To enable the Remote Desktop functionality, navigate to the following location in local computer policy or domain group policy (network wide effect to apply across the entire Active Directory network, and Windows Vista machine is needed in order to process the template files):

Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Terminal Services \ Terminal Server \ Connections

At the location, find the policy named Allow users to connect remotely using Terminal Services, and set it to Enable.

To require the use of RDP version 6 and NLA, browse to the following location in local computer policy or domain group policy (restrictions and functions same as above):

Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Terminal Services \ Terminal Server \ Security

In the folder, search for Require user authentication using RDP 6.0 for remote connections, and set it to Enable.

To control which users have access to the Vista system via Remote Desktop, you can add the authorized users to Remote Desktop Users group on the local machine, while those denied access should be removed from the list.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

My friend tried LogMeIn on Windows Vista Beta 2 and it worked almost fine :
    - add an exception to windows defender when it asks for it at install
    - add a password to every user account (otherwise Vista doesn't allow remote control even for LogMeIn)

My issue was more about being disconnected every other minute, which is quite a challenge to work remotely on a document. When I installed XP back on my computer, LogMeIn stopped my disconnections

I tried to install LogMeIn on Windows Vista RC1 and I have issues at install so I can't say it works with RC1

I'm sure that LogMeIn will come up with a solution : their entire business is based on this compatibility with Vista. They just told me that they don't want to work on a beta version of Windows. I guess that with RC1, they're going to start working on something.

Use Team Viewer. It's free for personal use and much, much easier for the non-techie people whom you're trying to support. On your end, you'll install the full support module.
    http://www.teamviewer.com