Thread: Where is Wireless Zero Configuration in Windows Vista

Where is Wireless Zero Configuration in Windows Vista

I had this issue on Windows XP SP2 where my wireless connection kept dropping out every 20 secs or so. Somehow I managed to solve this problem by reading a article on this forum.

The guy managed to stop it by disabling "Wireless Zero Config" in the Windows XP Services dialog and which also worked for me!

However, I've recently made the move to Windows Vista, which i'm quite happy with up until I look at the pings. It appears my problem has popped up again. However, I can't find the equivilant of "Wireless Zero Config" on Windows Vista.

Anyone have any ideas what they could have renamed it to? Or even intergrated it into something else (I hope not!)

Thank you

Re: Where is Wireless Zero Configuration in Windows Vista

You will need to start the Wireless Zero Configuration service to use 802.x Authentication in Windows.

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Windows Vista:

To start Wireless Zero Configuration in Windows Vista you need to log in as an Administrator.

1. Click on Start and Control Panel
    2. Select Administrative Tools and then Services
    3. In the Services box scroll down the list of Services (Local) until you find the one labelled Wired AutoConfig and double click it.
    4. In the Wired AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
    5. Click on Start and once the service has started click on OK
    6. Now find the service labelled WLAN AutoConfig and double click it.
    7. In the WLAN AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
    8. Click on Start and once the service has started click on OK
    9. Go to File and Exit to close the Services window

Re: Where is Wireless Zero Configuration in Windows Vista

Windows Vista WLAN Autoconfig
    Unlike Windows XP, Windows Vista does not have the wireless zero configuration (WZC) service, instead the service used to detect available wireless network and manage wireless network profiles is called WLAN Autoconfig.

If you do not enable this feature, you need to use the other wireless utility which is provided by wireless adapter manufacturer in order to connect to wireless networks.

Graphical Interface Method
    Here is how you can enable/disable this feature:

1. Go to Start and right click Computer. Select and click Manage.

2. Computer Management window will appear. Under Services and Applications, select Services.

(Another way to reach this is: Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

3. Scroll down and select WLAN AutoConfig.

4. Double-click the service and its properties window will appear. If the startup type is not set to automatic, click on the dropdown arrow and change it to Automatic. Click Start to start the service if it’s not started. Click OK at last.

Command Line Method
    To do this via the command you have to use Windows Vista Netsh commands for wireless local area networks (WLAN) .

To disable the WLAN Autoconfig you can follow these steps:

1. Click on Start, type in “cmd” without the quotes, then right-click on cmd.exe which appears in your search.

2. Select run as administrator.

3. The WLAN service must be running first. If it isn’t type net start wlansvc.

4. Type in netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface=”name of your wireless network here” (with the quotes)

(If you need to see the name of your wireless network first, type in netsh wlan show settings)

To enable WLAN Autoconfig via command line use the same process but in step #3 change command to enabled=yes
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever