Thread: How to protect from sniffing ?

How to protect from sniffing ?

hi

i am on a Ethernet network and there are lots of computer on this network.i want to know how can i protect my self from sniffing ? does my firewall is worth ?please any one can help me and provide me some tips ?

Re: How to protect from sniffing ?

hi
    NO effect will be shown by Software firewall . main thing is sniffer cannot read your traffic on a switched network unless the Administrators of the network are the ones sniffing.or you must have encryption , such as a VPN

hi
    ya ,To prevent sniffing, you would have to use a VPN solution for your network this will prevent non-authenticated clients from using data by gain into any of your cables, routers, switches, WIFI access points or hubs.

hi what i can suggest you are only few things .You might be thinking that sniffers make the entire Internet completely insecure and that you shouldn't touch it with a ten-foot keyboard. Not at all. You just need to know where the risk is, when you are at risk, and what to do to be safer.

Think of your password as you would your credit card number. When you purchase an item in a store or over the phone with your credit card, that number is visible to others--just as your password is visible during some transactions. If you suspect that someone has your credit card number and may use it, you call your bank and get a new number.

Since passwords are sometimes stolen, it is essential that you change your password regularly. This precaution limits the amount of time a stolen password can be used by an attacker.

It is never a good idea to share your password with others. Sharing accounts makes it difficult for you to know where your password is being used (and exposed) and harder to detect unauthorized use.

Never give your password to someone who calls you on the phone claiming to be a "C&C Computer Operator" or a "UW Security Officer" saying they need to verify information about your account to fix a problem or to investigate a system break-in. C&C staff would not, as a matter of policy, ask someone for their password over the phone. This type of trickery (known as "social engineering") is probably the simplest and most effective method of hacking.